L. Kravitz sound on Mamma Said

cordura21

L. Kravitz sound on Always On The Run

Hey guys. Can you educate me on how to get the sound of the lick on this song?
It sounds overdriven, yet it has a lot of "popping" going one (being myself a bass player is the only way I can describe it). Using most of the tools i have, that percusive sound gets washed up by the distortion.
Please give me any tips on settings, playing technique, etc. My current tools are a Stratocaster and a JStation. I know many people will tell me I'll have to get a Gibson or some vintage gear, but I bet you can help me to achieve at least an approximation.

Thanks a lot. Andrés

Edit: I thought the title was "Mama Said", I corrected it.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly is that the one with the ascending riff that is very zeppelin-eque? Cool song. I think Slash also played the solo. The main riff sounds like les paul into a plexi and slash probably played his typical les paul to marshall jubilee setup. How you get that with your setup, I dont know. Just not too much gain.

My best advice would be to use less distortion. The main riff on that song does not have a ton of distortion on it, and that will help the "spank" come out. Pick harder than normal.

In general, most guitar tones have less distortion on them than you think they do.

A

ok, I was wrong. I was thinking of a song off of one of his other albums. That one sounds like a Telecaster Thinline with a shade of distortion from maybe a Vox.

spoonie g said:
ok, I was wrong. I was thinking of a song off of one of his other albums. That one sounds like a Telecaster Thinline with a shade of distortion from maybe a Vox.

The solo is Slash though, so you were right about that one!

Buy the "Lenny Kravitz Stomp Box". The one with his picture on the packaging.

Just kidding. I like Lenny Kravitz. He does a great job of copping those classic vibes, tones and feels in his music. Of course, Kravitz has an armada of vintage and high tech instruments, amps and recording equipment at his disposal.

Back