Kurzweil K1000 - problems saving programs

I am experiencing problems when trying to save newly created sound programs on my Kurzweil K1000 which I bought second hand.

I follow the instructions regarding layering etc. and save the new program to the first available 'empty' location in the memory which is 064.

All is fine until I turn the keyboard off at which point the program disappears! 064 becomes empty again. Sometimes it depends how long I leave it until I turn it back on again :(

Any ideas as to why this may be happening?

Thanks

But the keyboard is run from the mains. Is there some kind of internal battery? If so, the manual makes no mention of it.

Yes, there is an internal battery. When you power down the mains the internal memory is no longer getting power and any edits you have made are lost. The battery is there to save the internal memory when the unit is not getting power from the mains.

There are two solutions that don't involve installing a new battery:

1. Don't turn the K1000 off.

2. Before powering down save your internal patches as sysex data to your computer, then reload the K1000 when you use it next.

Obviously, it's a lot more convenient to have the unit automatically remember your patches when you power it down, which is why the battery is there in the first place. But if you don't want to replace the battery, or that type is no longer available, then I would recommend #2 above as the most practical solution.

Yes, there is an internal battery. When you power down the mains the internal memory is no longer getting power and any edits you have made are lost. The battery is there to save the internal memory when the unit is not getting power from the mains.

There are two solutions that don't involve installing a new battery:

1. Don't turn the K1000 off.

2. Before powering down save your internal patches as sysex data to your computer, then reload the K1000 when you use it next.

Obviously, it's a lot more convenient to have the unit automatically remember your patches when you power it down, which is why the battery is there in the first place. But if you don't want to replace the battery, or that type is no longer available, then I would recommend #2 above as the most practical solution.
This is all great advice, thanks.

I will look into changing the battery, but in the eventuality that I can't, please could you explain what is involved in saving the patches to my computer? I have no idea what sysex data is, for example.

You need a midi interface, which you probably already have, plus a program that can record sysex (system exclusive) data. An ordinary midi sequencer can record this data.

Your synth will have a menu item called something like "save data", "transmit data", etc. You can find it in your manual.

What you do is start recording in your software and then begin transmitting the data from your synth. To reload the synth, you'd just play back the data from the sequencer into the synth. I'm pretty sure your manual will have info on how to do this.

If you are on a Mac a great sysex program is "Sysex Librarian". It is very easy to use and is designed exactly for this purpose. You can also do a google search for "sysex data" or some similar search term, and I'm sure you'll come up with many applications for the PC platform.

Back