Kurzweil K1000 - missing memory board

Hi. I have a Kurzweil K1000 synth. The memory does not work as not only is there no battery, but apparently the whole circuit board it sits in is missing (as I have been told by a tech who took it apart).

Does anyone have any spares...or would anything from another keyboard fit and work just as well?

Hard to believe...

that the board is just "missing", however, you can find K1000's very cheap these days. In fact, there is a used instruments store near me selling one for $169.00 (and he even said that the price is "flexible").

Somewhere I had gotten hold of the K1000 service manual and schematics in PDF and HTML format. The service manual indicated a 3v lithium battery on the power supply board and I confirmed this looking at the schematic. If the power supply board on which the battery resides is missing, the keyboard shouldn't even power up. Does the board have any sounds or you just can't store your own?
The keyboard does power up. All the sounds are playable, and you can create soundbanks and store them, but these new sounds will disappear once the keyboard is switched off.

I don't know...

most of these lithium batteries are nothing more than $4.00 watch batteries you can buy at Walgreens. I've put one in each of my Korg keyboards (Wavestation, and Triton Studio) and they both work fine.

If the sounds are playable, editable, and storable, then it seems like you just need a new backup battery. If there were major circuit boards missing the keyboard would be unplayable.

You're right, it's probably just an empty slot for a ROM block.

If you feel adventurous you could open it up yourself. Otherwise, it will cost you a bit to have a tech do it. Of course, for the cost of that tech service you get a working synth, so it's worth it!

Has the OP resolved this yet? I owned a K1000 for years and now have a K1200 Pro 76 keyboard and a 1000 PX Plus module.

I'd like to see a pic of the inside of the OP's synth where the tech says the problem is. The whole thing sounds a bit odd.

~Tim
:)

Has the OP resolved this yet? I owned a K1000 for years and now have a K1200 Pro 76 keyboard and a 1000 PX Plus module.

I'd like to see a pic of the inside of the OP's synth where the tech says the problem is. The whole thing sounds a bit odd.

~Tim
:)

I haven't got round to getting it looked at again but I will post news when I do.

Back