Kunaki, how many CDs did you order?

J

jokerone

I'm far from ready to order (still composing), but was wondering how many CDs people ordered from Kunaki or another manufacturer, and if you believe you over ordered or not?

thanks.

Depends on how many aunts you have, I suppose...
Seriously, that's hard to determine for anybody outside your circle. I know how big my fan base is and I know about how many to order. It's always nice to get the bigger numbers and get the lower prices, but shooting too high and having 300 leftover kind of cuts the budget, too.
OTOH, if you can get them listed on amazon.com, sometimes older CDs of obscure bands sell higher than they originally did.
Figure how many you're going to hawk, and figure at least 50% of your fan base should want a copy. Shoot for the best mark you can (a little high is better than a little low). Nothing like disappointing 100 fans to reduce your fan base. You can always add to your hawking tables if you don't make your projections.

I made my last CD about 3 years ago.

I ordered 20.

I still have 19.

....and 1 really cool coaster.

It's a dead format. Go to one of those places that makes them to order.

Kunaki offers that, too. You can point your fans to the Kunaki page with your CD and they can order direct and you get your cut.

But really, it's an open-ended question. Order 10, 20, however many. If you need more in a month, order more. The discounts at Kunaki are for low quantities, when you order over a certain amount (10?), you pay the same per CD, so the only savings is on the shipping charges.

It's a dead format. Go to one of those places that makes them to order.

shows I'm getting old. I always want a hard copy of my music I buy.

thanks.

---------- Update ----------

Kunaki offers that, too. You can point your fans to the Kunaki page with your CD and they can order direct and you get your cut.

But really, it's an open-ended question. Order 10, 20, however many. If you need more in a month, order more. The discounts at Kunaki are for low quantities, when you order over a certain amount (10?), you pay the same per CD, so the only savings is on the shipping charges.

thanks.

---------- Update ----------

I made my last CD about 3 years ago.

I ordered 20.

I still have 19.

....and 1 really cool coaster.

thanks, I may end up with the same.

Depends on how many aunts you have, I suppose...
Seriously, that's hard to determine for anybody outside your circle. I know how big my fan base is and I know about how many to order. It's always nice to get the bigger numbers and get the lower prices, but shooting too high and having 300 leftover kind of cuts the budget, too.
OTOH, if you can get them listed on amazon.com, sometimes older CDs of obscure bands sell higher than they originally did.
Figure how many you're going to hawk, and figure at least 50% of your fan base should want a copy. Shoot for the best mark you can (a little high is better than a little low). Nothing like disappointing 100 fans to reduce your fan base. You can always add to your hawking tables if you don't make your projections.

had lots, none anymore.

so dumping 5 at the local trendy album/music store, hand a few out to relatives, a few to the local public radio station,

Sounds like much less than I was expecting to order.. :(

But It did make me thing about it. thanks!

I have ordered 30 (10 X 3) that was the most. I have no friends. I gave all of them away to strangers.
I still order a new set every 6 months so they are keeping them on the server.

I have ordered 30 (10 X 3) that was the most. I have no friends. I gave all of them away to strangers.
I still order a new set every 6 months so they are keeping them on the server.

Cool. Well thats a lot better than I had friends, gave them my CD, now they are strangers.. :D

thanks.

RAMI, your music blows me away, and you can't sell any? You need to gig...I play at churches and I hawk 10 in a night or more. I don't do t-shirts or any of that junk, but you should be able to get a gig somewhere, or a private party or something...take some CDs and people will buy them. It's the thrill of the live performance. Make a set of performance tracks by taking out the main guitar track (I usually do piano) and the vocal and go sing and play along. People love that stuff!

RAMI, your music blows me away, and you can't sell any? You need to gig...I play at churches and I hawk 10 in a night or more. I don't do t-shirts or any of that junk, but you should be able to get a gig somewhere, or a private party or something...take some CDs and people will buy them. It's the thrill of the live performance. Make a set of performance tracks by taking out the main guitar track (I usually do piano) and the vocal and go sing and play along. People love that stuff!

Thanx a lot, Buddy.

But thing is, don't people get it? It's over! NOBODY BUY MUSIC any more. It has nothing to do with "good" "bad" "commercial" or anything else. Nobody buys music any more. Period.

Do you know that 2014 is the first year in the history of the music business that not ONE artist had a gold record? Even all the horrible popular shit like Taylor Swift and whoever else is polluting the airwaves. Not one gold record last year. It's over. Finished.

But I'll tell you one thing. I've never enjoyed making music more than I do now, because "selling" it doesn't even cross my mind. I just write, play, and record to my heart's content without worrying about anything other than whether I'm enjoying it. It's a beautiful thing.

I do get about $20 a month from CDBABY for digital downloads from everything I've done over the years.

I also do enjoy the fantasy of playing "rock star" in own my little world. Designing a CD cover, thinking of a title, deciding the order of the tunes, etc.....that's all really really fun to do. But I have no illusions of selling anything. But that's ok. Believe me, the truth will set you free and you'll make the best music you've ever made once you stop caring about anything other than the MUSIC.

I hope that didn't sound like I was preaching. When I say "you", I don't mean "YOU". I mean the collective "you". These are just my opinions. Your results may vary. Read the fine print, and if your erection lasts more than 4 hours, contact a pron director........

Last edited:
Yeah, I should play at churches too. Christian music is the real gold mine. It's the most god-awful (no pun intended) generic pap there is, and the christians eat it up like communion wafers.

Making albums is fun. I still believe in the album format just because I like the idea of it. I don't care who does or doesn't buy it. I give all the money away anyway. I just like having a finished product in my hands. I'm still that kid that sits and listens to his records from beginning to end and stares at the artwork.

Yeah, I should play at churches too. Christian music is the real gold mine. It's the most god-awful (no pun intended) generic pap there is, and the christians eat it up like communion wafers.

Making albums is fun. I still believe in the album format just because I like the idea of it. I don't care who does or doesn't buy it. I give all the money away anyway. I just like having a finished product in my hands. I'm still that kid that sits and listens to his records from beginning to end and stares at the artwork.

good point, and better yet, you have the best cop/jail in the world for those who don't buy the music but steal it. Satan/hell... :D

seriously, it might be the only audience that actually pays for what you produce.

Music is a vanity project anyway. Most people make music and desperately hope that someone else likes it. Or they want to show off. Like metal shredders. Their music sucks shit. There's no songwriting there. It's just a vehicle for them to play scales really fast. Either way is a dated concept now that sales don't happen. Like Rami mentioned, as soon as you get away from that line of thinking you can be free to make your music how you truly want it to be. If someone then likes it, great, if they don't, woopdy fucking doo.

I agree its better to over order than under order.
In the past my band would typically order 50 at a time now and both times we wound up having to order more.
Now that they have a discount for 100+ CD's we went for 100. Each member put down 40 bucks. 3 weeks later we have around 60 copies left and turned a profit. Whatever happens with the rest of the CD's happens.
Physical copies also go over well when you are making submissions to labels, blogs, etc. Actually seeing the album rather than just hearing it is a great reminder of its existence..

For Kunaki, I found the best value for CD/Shipping cost is at 20 CDs per order.

I have never sold a physical CD. and my digital downloads dropped to nothing. None the less, I still love the CD format. Like Rami, creating the artwork, working out song order, writing liner notes is a blast; even if a little self-indulgent. I order 20 CDs at a time from Kunaki and hand them out to family and friends who will never listen.

I mostly buy downloads, but sometimes I'll order a CD. I think I have bought music from most everyone here... Trying to keep the industry going with one hand tied behind my back. :D

cool. thanks so much for the responses. Seems I was thinking much higher (like 300) or so.

Seems I was thinking much higher (like 300) or so.

Nothing wrong with that. There's no wrong answer to this, really. If you think you can sell 300, then no reason not to get 300. But if you're not sure, if doesn't hurt to order less.

Another thing to keep in mind is what Ido mentioned. On Kunaki, you need to place an order within 6 months of the last one or else they delete your CD. So, again, it might be worth ordering less but more frequently.

Back