KSM27 Failing, almost dead

Yea, no warranty to be had. I bought it in an as-is auction on ebay. But, thanks for the help, man. I'm totally gonna try that.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm having the same exact issue with my KSM141. I called Shure and they said that the board is about $37. I'm pretty handy with soldering and fixing things but I want to make sure it's the board and not anything else. If I bought the board from Shure and for some reason it didn't work properly, is there any way that I could create a custom mic with the new board and a different capsule (let's say the tapeop/behringer/naiant/avenson capsule)?

The issue with my 27 was a grounding issue ...... you might want to check that the body of the microphone is tight and all screws are as well.

Was your mic sounding like this?

http://www.recursor.net/ksm27/ksm27.wav

It's weird how this came about. I was recording xylophone during a session and it sounded great. I turned off the phantom power, moved the mic into a different preamp, flipped the phantom power on, and it hasn't worked properly since. I've tried it in four other preamps and I'm getting something that sounds just like that. I found your thread Moresound and I'm going to give it a try.

I just unscrewed the whole thing again. I tightened the screws. Then I tried pushing the xlr back into the microphone shell. It took a little bit of force but I heard a pop so I got excited because I hadn't heard that before. I ran out to my studio and tried it out. It sounds great. I'm cautiously optimistic that it's fixed and hoping that it's not an intermittent problem. Thanks for the help moresound.

I bought it used a few weeks ago on Gearslutz and it was supposedly working perfectly. It's a really old model. It's actually patent pending it's so old. It was fine until this happened a few nights ago. I'll probably just pay the $102 to have them fix it and call it a day. It's just weird that it was working again for a night and then it happened again.

That's what was happening with mine. Good one day bad the next.

I was really hoping that was going to fix your microphone.

Was the guy over a GS reputable? I mean they are sluts over there hence the name. :D

Seems like this problem may have been around for awhile. I have a Sony microphone that did the same good for a week or so the boom same symptoms as your microphone so I sent it out to Philgood a member here at HR that works on microphones.

His conclusion on my Sony is the capsule dirty/contaminated possible could be your microphones problem as well and not a grounding or circuitry malfunction.

Back