"Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down - pop rock interpretation

Brian Miller

My father and I have been working on a cool cover project where we're reinterpreting famous songs from different eras with slightly or drastically different genres.

So here's a strange pop rock version of "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down. All the parts have been tracked (finally) and this is a very first rough mix. I'm looking for feedback on how the tracks feels and what you think could be done to bring it all together. Just hoping for input from you guys before I settle down to mix for real.

No mastering, just a limiter bringing it up to a reasonable listening volume (only nudging the limiter 0.5-1db at most).

Thanks!

~Brian

Attachments

• Kryptonite final mix v1 256.mp3
    8 MB · Views: 31
Real nice original version of the song. I like the production.

I cannot advise you on the mix, sounds like you two know what you are doing. I would put it in the show off thread rather than soliciting input.
Although I would have done it different, I like your version very much. This is the beauty of having different musical personalities, one gets to hear something they would not have thought of.

Who is doing the voc?

Well done.:thumbs up:

PS. It passed the A&R test. instead of listening to the first 30 seconds and discarding, I listened to it 4 times.:D

Hey Brian, I think you did a great job on this tune. I really like the originality of your arrangement. You did your own thing woth it. Very cool.
Also, superb recording and mix. No nits to pick on this from me.
Fantastic job!

RFR - Many thanks on the compliments. I did vocals, all guitars, MIDI programming, and all production aspects. My father on bass guitar. My brother guesting on piano, Rhodes, and all synth.

jimistone - Appreciate the compliments!

Thanks for listening guys.

There's an echo on the guitar chords when only the vocals are during the first chorus - I found the echo, being so far back distracting, I'd just remove the echo. The 2nd chorus was done differently and fine. During the final part I thought the cymbals were panned too wide - I prefer to bring them in with about 65% width, but that's just me.
Nice interpretation.

There's an echo on the guitar chords when only the vocals are during the first chorus - I found the echo, being so far back distracting, I'd just remove the echo. The 2nd chorus was done differently and fine. During the final part I thought the cymbals were panned too wide - I prefer to bring them in with about 65% width, but that's just me.
Nice interpretation.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. The delay was intentional. I might try to make it more prominent first, before doing the opposite and dropping it.

Cymbals panned the same the whole song, but I'll take a look at it.

Interesting version you did here. It fits your voice real well...and I like the control you have on it. Great mix Brian.

Back