Krokmitën - Extreme Music

CarcPazu

Hi everyone,

Here's an mp3 of a song I'm working on for my band.
I'm currently only in writing mode, so it's pretty primitive for now.
Everything will have to be redone when it's gonna be all composed, for now it's a draft... I didn't record any bass and singing yet.
My singing will be death metal type of growling.

I'm basicaly trying to learn how to record and mix. I''m still an amateur and I don't think I'm about to turn pro. I struggled a lot not to let anything peak.
So any comments, help or technical advices would be more than welcome.

Reactions: XLR
The Ahhhhh.... synth BG vocal at 1:42 meshes oddly well with the perpetual motion guitar. Guitar tone sounds good to me. The synth cymbals detract, I think... sound too artificial and like there's maybe a fast attack compressor on them that's removing their attack and moving them back rhythmically so they sound a little late.

I think the electrical sound at 1:55 is effective. At 2:03 there's an interesting L/R parallel interval thing going between two gtrs that I like. Kind of Moorish sounding, as is the overall guitar rhythm. Then the R gtr takes off around 3:00 into a higher and more dramatic line, reminds me of Sagreras' "Imitation of the Flight of the Hummingbird" for nylon str gtr. Very cool.

The distant bell/gong at 4:06 is very effective and the and kick sound getting deeper there is very good arranging IMO.

You might be able to use the electical sound effect and the gong at other places in the arr in a quasi-subliminal way. Or it might ruin their effect as far as how good they sound where they're used now, but it might be worth experimenting with if you haven't already.

Tim

Last edited:
Sounds like a good start. That's some good, fast rythum work. It will be interesting to hear the final song. Plodding rythum at around 4:00 is a cool tempo change. Sounds like the drums may be loud for the guitar, but real hard to say with just these 2 instruments being the only ones right now.

I liked it, and hopefully you can get something with bass and vocals up soon.
Ed

Dogman said:
Sounds like a good start. That's some good, fast rythum work. It will be interesting to hear the final song. Plodding rythum at around 4:00 is a cool tempo change. Sounds like the drums may be loud for the guitar, but real hard to say with just these 2 instruments being the only ones right now.

I liked it, and hopefully you can get something with bass and vocals up soon.
Ed

Yes you might be right, the drum might be too loud. The thing is, this is some programmed drum, and I plan to replace it with my drummer playing on a V-Drum in MIDI. Then I might replace all the V-Drum cymbals with some real recorded cymbals afterwards to have a better sounding tone. But it seems like a lot of work. And about the bass, I got a problem, recently a friend borrowed my bass and I think he left it in the garage or somethin' cuz now the neck is all twisted. I went to a shop to get it repaired and the the dude said he can't do shit about it. So basically it's dead! I will have to invest into buying one or borrow one. But a 5strings Ibanez is kinda expensve. BTW, a friend he isn't anymore :-(

Timothy Lawler said:
The Ahhhhh.... synth BG vocal at 1:42 meshes oddly well with the perpetual motion guitar. Guitar tone sounds good to me. The synth cymbals detract, I think... sound too artificial and like there's maybe a fast attack compressor on them that's removing their attack and moving them back rhythmically so they sound a little late.

I think the electrical sound at 1:55 is effective. At 2:03 there's an interesting L/R parallel interval thing going between two gtrs that I like. Kind of Moorish sounding, as is the overall guitar rhythm. Then the R gtr takes off around 3:00 into a higher and more dramatic line, reminds me of Sagreras' "Imitation of the Flight of the Hummingbird" for nylon str gtr. Very cool.

The distant bell/gong at 4:06 is very effective and the and kick sound getting deeper there is very good arranging IMO.

You might be able to use the electical sound effect and the gong at other places in the arr in a quasi-subliminal way. Or it might ruin their effect as far as how good they sound where they're used now, but it might be worth experimenting with if you haven't already.

Tim

I don't know what is this Imitation of teh Flight of the Hummingbird. I'll check this out.
I like the electric sound also.
The lyrics basically talks about the brain, the conscience and all the ways you can mess with the brain. In exemple hypnosis, shock treatments, etc...

It's funny you say this "quasi-subliminal" thing, cuz I'm planning to use a lot of subliminal type of stuff, reversed voices, far away sounds here and there.

It might take a while before you here the final song. Now I have close to 2 hours of stuff, I'm cleaning up the crap and will finish with a song lenght of an hour. I've been working on this for 2 years. There's some passages that are more experimental and less death metal. I try to stay open minded about it and explore this into a cold and brutal experiment.

The final song will be in Dolby Digital in 5.1 surround on DVD only.
So basically now I'm composing, layering ideas and when it's gonna be all ready I'm going to replace every instrument and redo everything cleaner. When I'll have an "ok" song, I'll experiment mixing in 6 channel, with the subwoofer to handle the bass/boom sound, it might be interesting to hear what I could come up with.

I haven't done any limiting oor EQ on what you've heard. So far I never tryed playing with thoses stuff, I don't really know how to do it. I guess i'll have to read the manual!

I'm still not satisfied with the guitar tone. I think it could be more piercing. A bit like a killer bees attack. I'm going to have to train my arms a lot more to pulloff the guitars tracks properly since it's at a 220 tempo.

None of my friends are into extreme music, so I can't get much comments about it from my relatives.

Thanks for the comments guys, you made my day.

Sagreras "Imitation of the Flight of the Hummingbird"

Timothy Lawler said:
Then the R gtr takes off around 3:00 into a higher and more dramatic line, reminds me of Sagreras' "Imitation of the Flight of the Hummingbird" for nylon str gtr. Very cool.

I checked this Sagreras thing you're talking about.
Wow, thanks for the comparison, I listened to the sample on this site (http://www.guitar9.com/marcelwittfeldtrk.html) and I see why you said this. I can see a link between this song and what I've done.
I might go buy one of his album I think I could learn some stuff from it.

Timothy Lawler said:
Cool, CarcPazu. Tried to listen to it but couldn't download it for some reason. I'll have to try again. Looks like from the pics on the page the gtrist plays it on elec.? If you're interested, here's a version I did.

I don't know about the guy, the pictures beside doesn't seems to be related to Julio Sagreras.

I've listen to your version of it. Pretty impressive. I saw on your website that you teach guitar.
Now I couldn't play this. I never was much of a nylon str player.
Basicaly I'm self-thought by hears, I never had any classes. I never took time to really sit down and learn the technical aspect of music. I mostly always wanted to learn to play fast.

I've got an other part of the song I could post over here eventually, I'm still trying to mix it as we speak.

Sounds great to me but hard to tell what the finished product will sound like. I have nothing more to add. :confused:

VSpaceBoy said:
Sounds great to me but hard to tell what the finished product will sound like. I have nothing more to add.QUOTE]

I know what you mean. Even me can't predict what the final product will sounds like. I'm more of an artist and less of a technician. I know where I'm heading artistically, but technically I'm a beginner. I'll get as much help I can to make it sounds good. I'm even thinking about putting the final mastering into the end of an experienced master... we'll see!

Back