KRK Rokit monitors?

rogerwilco

A guy at Guitar Center was pushing these passive monitors over the Event 20/20s. He said the Events sound better as stereo speakers, but the KRKs are more accurate and show you the flaws of your recordings better, so you can fix them. He said they were especially good at detecting digital artifacts that can be a problem in digital recording. Anyone heard/used the KRK Rokits? What do you think?

someone at the New Orleans Guitar Center gave me a similar speech....I a/b'ed them for a few minutes with the 20/20's and I did rather the KRK's, but I wasnt familiar with any of the CD's they had there...I was just returning the M5's and didnt go prepared....I was going to go back, probably still will, but I got the Tannoy Proto J's since.....

Odds are that KRK is offering some kind of incentive right now for them to get that kind of a push.....

I don't have golden ears, but...

I bought the KRK Rokits, and I A/Bd them against the Event 20/20s. Here's why: The Rokits held their own, and they're a lot smaller. And I don't have much room for big monitors. That's it.

The comparison was done in Guitar Center--not the best place--with Steely Dan's Aja for about an hour at different volumes and distances. I felt the 20/20s had a little more detail and produced a little better stereo field. The 20/20s seemed to accent the lows and highs a little more, and the Rokits accented the mids a little more--no extremes either way. Overall, I rated both excellent.

Bottom line for me: The Rokits fit my space perfectly and sound great. I drive them with a Hafler TA 1600 that seems to be a perfect fit. Although, if I had a bigger space for my monitor setup I would have bought the 20/20s. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I must stress the Rokits held their own. They are very well constructed with high quality drivers.

I don't think KRK makes any junk.

Rokits vs. Alesis Monitor Ones?

Anyone have a sense of how these two options compare? I think they're in the same price range, and the Monitor Ones have a pretty good track record, I think.

monitor debates get pretty heated hear so I can only give my opinion......KRK's.....

The rockits are prettier. But I wanted a lower bass extension and I routinely shyaway from a set of monitors that are sold with a sub as an option. they did sound nice and the home theatre enthusists like them as well.

I have a mate who has the Rockit/Hafler combination and he's very happy with them. He's always on about how the biggest thing for him when judging monitors is the "fatigue factor". He got the Rockits for that reason.... "I can listen to them all day".
You can check out his stuff monitored through the Rockits at www.mp3.com/daveduffus

I have a pair of Rockits and a Hafler 150wtt (1600) they seem to hold there own,for $399 for the amp and monitors I am very happy.But I have been mixing on a couple of oatmeal cans for a long time so I'm not to hard to please.

Monty Neese,

Dammit, Vulcan!!!

After bowling over a salesperson and a department manager, I went head-to-head with the GC store manager in San Marcos, CA for over an hour getting him to come down from $600 to $425 for that same system. I've been patting myself on the back ever since. How in the hell did you get it for $399!

I'm pissed!!!

Sorry Tdukex,

The GC in Atlanta has the Rockits and the Hafler 1600 on sale in there sale paper for $399.99.I actually bought a pair of Rockits with the Hafler 1100 (100 wt amp) first for a whopping $499 and saw the sale paper and flipped! I went up there and they made it right for me, maybe they will square up with you too.

Monty Neese,

Re: Rokits vs. Alesis Monitor Ones?

rogerwilco said:
Anyone have a sense of how these two options compare? I think they're in the same price range, and the Monitor Ones have a pretty good track record, I think.

I have the Monitor Ones.
I recommend the KRKs.

tdukex said:
I must stress the Rokits held their own. They are very well constructed with high quality drivers.

I looked at the Rokit on the KRK web site. I haven't listened to them , but I'm very familiar with the drivers they are using. They are no more or less special than those in the 20/20. However, the Axon 6 1/2" coated paper midbass driver used in the Rokit is more accurate than the Vifa 8" polypropylene driver used in the 20/20.

This comparison is generically true for all larger polypropylene drivers. 8" is too large for this material to work effectively. It produces a great deal of distortion due to cone flexing. Personally I do not design speakers with polypropylene drivers larger than 5 1/4" (Vifa makes an outstanding 5 1/4" polypropylene unit). The Axon 6 1/2" driver is not the greatest for high accuracy midbass response (about 2500Hz to around 60Hz), but it's a much better compromise than the Vifa 8".

barefoot

Last edited:
On the other hand:)

The Rokit uses the Axon T1S tweeter. The 20/20 uses something very close, if not identical, to the standard Vifa D27TG-35 tweeter. The Vifa is a much nicer tweeter, so the 20/20 wins on the Highs (unless Event has done something really stupid in the crossover design, which my ears tell me is not the case).

So, there's advantages in each speaker. But, from a basic overall design perspective I'd lean towards the Rokit. Of course, I'd have to hear the Rokit before I could be sure.

barefoot

Back