kork vs fantom vs. motif still cant do it...

Botinok

after reading all the threads on this issue (and there are a bunch) i still cant decide which synth to get..the three major players are the triton extreme, motif, and fantom

i wanna stay as close to 2k as i can....

now i knwo the triton isnt that great with piano sounds..and i like to use piano sounds..i make hip-hop beats btw....but the thing that i really like about the triton is the touch screen..seems like it would be more intuative (keep in mind im new to this..so the more user friendly the better)

how big of a difference are the sounds between the three really?..

thanks for the help

I followed the link to your sound click page, and you are in Torrance, right? There's plenty of music stores here in LA that will have all three of your synths sitting on their floor, waiting to be played. I think that all your questions will be answered if you go to a store and play the keyboard.

All three synths will cover the basics, but they each do have different things to offer. Reading about them won't help you anymore. The experience I've always had is once I get to the store and play the things, it becomes clear to me quickly which one I like better. It's all about what sounds inspire *you*, and nobody can tell you that on a message board.

That said, all three are excellent keyboards.

Botinok said:
after reading all the threads on this issue (and there are a bunch) i still cant decide which synth to get..the three major players are the triton extreme, motif, / /Snip/ how big of a difference are the sounds between the three really?..thanks for the help
With SonicAlbert's usual sensible approach to these issues... I can only add, go and try what is the best for your ears and needs. However, please don't let your decision be driven from practicality of one display, practicality and creativity don't go very friendly these days, specially if I consider present state of the music industry. Judge your machines on elaborate and extensive testing/playing.

Also, consider that NAMM days are within…not many hours away. Some new products are coming, you might benefit better prices for "older" range. For example Motif XS ~ (picture) as part of this new products.

Last edited:
:D Yo Botinok:

I've heard that the "KORK" unit makes unexplained "Popping" sounds! :D

Check it out before buying!

[Ahh, hell, I just couldn't resist.]

Green Hornet

I suggest buying one and taking it home, you'll sure as hell know whether or not you like it then, stores lie man!

hell, buy all three on credit from three different stores, ABC'em and take the worst two back :D (make sure you can get a refund beforehand though :) )

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Botinok:

I've heard that the "KORK" unit makes unexplained "Popping" sounds! :D

Check it out before buying!

[Ahh, hell, I just couldn't resist.]

Green Hornet
maybe if you play a very old record thru Korg's inputs....
Korg, Ensoniq and Kurzweil are the best

Botinok said:
Snip/...between the three really?..
Closer the NAMM, new surprise is revealed each day.

After resolving legal/dealer episode… Kurzweil is finally ready for new and really NEW things to come.

PC3 is one of those happy new things. New sounds, new piano and by all means, do consider this when you pay a visit to Yamaha/Roland/Korg keys.

Although slightly away from your spending plan, but still worth checking.

But knowing Kurzweil and their record of releasing new products, if they announce it in January it will ship in 2009.

I'm unclear if the piano sound is actually new. The page says "In addition to Kurzweil's renowned Triple Strike Grand Piano"... they've already touted that.

It really doesn't sound like anything super special, but I'd still like to try it out! :)

I couldnt decide on the motif, triton or motif es, so I bought em all.

Obviously not all at once !!!

Bought the triton rack like 5 years ago, fantom xr rack and motif rack es within the past 6 months

Yes, It's so so sweet.

But I bargain and chew the music stores down on their prices. i NEVER pay what is on the sicker.

Triton rack = $1700 chewed down to $1300 plus traded in stuff. Total paid $4oo for a brand new triton rack.

Fantom Rack XR = $1500. chewed em down to 1000. Traded in a s80 & JV-90. got 500 clams for em. I paid $500 out the door(tax id, no tax)

Motif Rack ES = $1300, chewed down to $900, traded in stuff, paided $500 for brand new Motif Rack ES.

Back