Korg X5D. Dead battery?

MadAudio

Damned if I do
I've had this synth for about 10 years, and it has always lived in my smoke-free studio. Recently it began acting strangely - it wouldn't "boot up" all the way on first power-up, it would freeze in the middle of being played, once a weird sequence of notes and sounded over and over, and now the presets have to be reloaded once I get it to power up at all. I'm thinking because of its age, the internal battery must need replacing. Or could this be a more serious problem?

Hey Mads! I had a Korg O1W/Pro (which is at least from the same general era) and the battery went dead a few years ago. The presets wouldn't load (fortunately I had saved them on a disc) but nothing else like what you are describing happened-- it functioned normally otherwise.
Sorry-- I guess that's not of much help other than to suggest that there might be something else going on...

Well, I just got a call from the repair tech, and it looks like the main board is toast. Over $500 to replace it (labor included) so I said "Don't bother. I can get a new synth for that much." He said, "Yep."

R.I.P. my little Korg X5D....... :(

Back