Korg x50 VS. Yamaha mm6

korg X50 VS Yamaha MM6

• Korg X50

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Yamaha MM6

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

RoOkiE85

Now i know that the both are pretty much little sister/brothers of the triton and the motif....so which one has the advantage...i'm looking to get one of them for my studio and i need one that would fit my type of music...i play acoustic/alternative/pop and a lito of rock on the side...let me know which ones you guys experienced and which one would be great for me...honestly, i'm leaning toward the yamaha mini motif 6....but then the korg is really promising too...dont want to spend a grand for something that has so much that i wont even ever experience all of the presets when theres these two with all i need...let me know guys....

Now i know that the both are pretty much little sister/brothers of the triton and the motif....so which one has the advantage...i'm looking to get one of them for my studio and i need one that would fit my type of music...i play acoustic/alternative/pop and a lito of rock on the side...let me know which ones you guys experienced and which one would be great for me...honestly, i'm leaning toward the yamaha mini motif 6....but then the korg is really promising too...dont want to spend a grand for something that has so much that i wont even ever experience all of the presets when theres these two with all i need...let me know guys....

Depends on what you would use them for. I'm more of a live player so I would choose the KORG.

Korg x50 VS. Yamaha mm6

I own both.

MM6
Pros- really easy to use. Has a far better piano sound, all the bread n butter sounds are good. Great acoustic guitars, Nice arps, comes with patterns to jam to, performances are pretty clever. Huge screen. IMO it is the better sounding of the 2.

Cons- no portamento, no monophonic mode.:rolleyes: No way to name performances (i.e. things you save). Minimal editing. Quirky midi implementation. Too many filler sounds (dogs barking, sirens). Not many ambient patches. 32 note polyphony.

X50
Pros- amazing combis, tons of sounds, fully editable. Excellent ambient patches, sound effects etc. Nice drums. Twice the polyphony of mm6. More impressive than the MM6.

Cons- piano is not very good. Poorly built. Much harder to learn/use than mm6. Very small screen, hard to read. Crappy keyboard. Acoustic sounds arent as good as mm6.

If I could only keep one, I would probably go with the mm6, but each has its strengths and weaknesses.

awesome...some more stuff i never knew about both...well, it seems like the korg has the advantage to me now...been looking at some youtube vids and reading lots of things about both...yea, the yamaha is not really editable....you cant really make your own stuff out of it...while the korg is....so i might get the korg....it doesnt matter about how hard its to learn....its about how much time are you willing to put in it to learn about it...its always about time when it comes to an instrument....

I'd go with the MM6... the sounds are much better IMO, and it seems to be more durable. I haven't been a big fan of the lower end Korg boards either... they kind of feel like toys to me.

Neither. Owned both and both are toys. The X-50 is very poorly built. The power supply has a reputation for breaking off real easy and the casing scratches even when trying to clean it with a soft cloth. Keys are also plastic and BEND real easy. The MM6 is well, I suppose you can use it as a traveling on vacation type of keyboard though it is better built better than the korg though but doesn't sound as good IMO.

For the same price you can buy a nice used Triton or Motif if you keep your eyes on the lookout!

Double Ditto...

You can also find a used Roland Juno G (occasionally) from CL for $5-600 bucks. The Juno G utilizes the Fantom Synth engine and is awesome. I researched the crap out of the (mainly) the MM6 and got the same response as those above...it's a toy. I do like and use Yamaha and Korg though...I'm just not that keen on those models.

You can also find a used Roland Juno G (occasionally) from CL for $5-600 bucks. The Juno G utilizes the Fantom Synth engine and is awesome. I researched the crap out of the (mainly) the MM6 and got the same response as those above...it's a toy. I do like and use Yamaha and Korg though...I'm just not that keen on those models.

The G is nice.:cool:

There is a zenlike simplicity to the mm6. It's laid out very well, everything is right in front of you. There are no modes, you just play. It would be a poor choice as your sole keyboard, but in a rig it's a great way to add Yamaha sounds for cheap. Besides, its FUN.:cool: You don't spend hours tweaking patches since you can't, you just click on a pattern and jam. Some of the performances are really quite cool, they are set up to have a nice musical combo in front of you at the click of a button. Too bad you cant name them.:confused::rolleyes:

Funny I almost posted a thread asking about the MM6.... Im more interested in making hip hop beats with it... I was going to start with it (it comes with cubase) and then move up after i get a little exp with it.

Would the mm6 be suitable for making hip hop/ rap/ r and b beats? Or is there something else to be recommended for $600 and under?

I wouldnt follow these answers too closely...

It depends entierly what you want from the synth, Korg is much better @ pads and synth stuff (+ X50 is way more of a synth than yammy).

Yamaha has better acustic sounds (more layers + "mega voices" + better samples). Anyway X50 is way less of a small brother of triton than MM is small brother of Motif XS. X50 acualy has more sample rom than triton, but not as many IFX (still more than MM though, I think).

So yeah, depends what you are doing, for acustics go yamaha, though sample librarys are much better for that stuff anyway and MM is more of a "toy" in synth sounds, it is better built than X50 though. X50 has much more to edit I do rather take it but if you just want piano sound than the choice is clear.

So conclusion: X50 = better synth/pad/arp more layering better orchestra sounds
MM= Better keyboard and acustic sounds, much better keyboard and built too.

They are both kinda crappy though, but the X50 does have some very usable pads and IT IS a triton if you have a FX rack.

Also Juno-G is the best one engine wise and has nice amount of expansion boards you can add, which are probably better than koeg or yammy, though it is easily the most expensive.

I wouldnt take any of these really, cause in the end you would be disappointed (well X50 does have some good pads...)

Back