Korg vs. Digitech + SansAmp quick review

BBB

In my ongoing quest to purchase a POD, I again stopped by the shop to pick one up. Instead, I got the Digitech RP100.

Here's the scenario:
I was heading to Madison to jam with an old bandmate. We wanted to keep the volume and equipment to a minimum, so the Boogie, etc. stayed at home. Brought the SansAmp GT2 and Korg PX3. The PX3's tones don't compare to the GT2, but I wanted some delay and slight chorus. I ended up stopping by a music shop to purchase the POD to fix the situation, but the shop wasn't a Line6 dealer. Thus, I either wanted some effects for the GT2 or their best self contained modeler with effects.

So I A/B'd:
Korg AX1000G, with
SansAmp GT2 + Digitech RP100

Both were run through a Marshall combo with a 12" speaker.

I ended up getting the RP100. Here's why:

After some tweaking, the Korg sounded pretty good. Decent tones, etc. However, when A/B'ed with the GT2, the tones were pretty close, but not quite close enough. Also, an important factor for me was making the chorus as minimal as possible. The Korg had two different chorus effects, neither of which I could make subtle enough for my tastes.

The RP100 did a great job of adding effects without coloring my tone from the GT2. Additionally, I could add chorus subtly enough for my tastes. The RP100 also had a nice feature of a simple drum machine for practicing.

I haven't tried the distortions on the RP100 yet so I can't comment. Also, the RP100 is pretty limited because it doesn't have MIDI. Be that as it may, the price was good at around $110.

In summary, the GT2+RP100 sounds better to my tastes than the AX1000G.

Matt

Sometimes the order you have the modulation and distortion effects can make a big change in sound when using a Sansamp. I use chorus pedals a lot, and occasionally a flanger. Sometimes I like them before the Sansamp, and other times they are better in the effects loop (post preamp)

Definitely try the distortions and amp modeling from the RP100. Try plugging your guitar into the RP100 and then into the Sansamp. I had an old Yamaha SPX-50D processor that had horrible solid-state distortions. It was a mid-1980's rack proccessor and I think it was 12-bit, and basically it was crap. However, I use to run those distortions into the Sansamp PSA-1 and it got extremely heavy, and interesting lead sounds. I have no idea why I sold that thing but I did. I use a Boss Blues Driver and Boss SuperOverdrive pedal before the Sansamp to get many of my distorted sounds. It seems to love those pedals. In fact, I've yet to try a pedal or rack processor that it didn't like. My tube amps are very picky about what pedals I use.

The GT2 is becoming somewhat of a classic. They have so many uses, from guitars, to keyboards, bass guitar, for adding balls to drum machine sounds. I love the Tech21 products. The new Bass RBI (I think it's called) looks great....I saw one in the stores last week. It's another version of the Bass DI and it's in a rackmount form.

Back