Korg Pitchblack Review

starbuck26

Well, my Boss TU-2 finally shit the bed. Not to say that it did a bad job—I had it since I was in 11th grade... probably about eight years of constant use. In the last year, though, the gigs started getting crazy and it was getting stomped on with cowboy boots pretty often.

But, by the time it finally crapped out, I had resolved to find something else. I got tired of trying to tune with it... it took forever for the thing to finally track and figure out what string I was on. Couple that with an impatient band and an even more impatient audience and it didn't quite work.

I replaced it with the Korg Pitchblack. My bass player uses a rack-mounted Korg Tuner, and is happy with it. So I gave it a shot.

I couldn't be happier. It switches quietly, has 0 effect on my tone, and the display is the coolest thing since sliced bread. It tracks MUCH faster, almost instantly, with accuracy that the boss would never have. I haven't really looked into the options and settings... i think there are some different modes for different tunings... and i never will. we tune to straight 440 hz in standard tuning.

So, the lone survivor of the Boss Purge of 2006—I sold all my crappy boss pedals in favor of some primo shit—is finally laid to rest. Good riddance.

Back