Korg padkontrol or nanopad?

brian_ka7

I saw the recent thread on the nanoseries and thought I'd ask which drum controller you think is a better buy - the padkontrol or the nanopad. I've had my eye on both but can't make up my mind. Obviously the price is an issue here. The only downside I found about the nanopad is the roll feature is more limited than it is on the padkontrol. Would that be a problem? I'm using steven slate drum software with pro tools, and i'd mainly be playing metal.

DEFINITELY the padkontrol. The nanopad would be good for a quick portable setup but it's much more limited functionality-wise than the padkontrol. (for instance, everything that can be done in the korg editor can be done on the padkontrol itself on-the-fly. Not true for the nanopad.)

There are also two programable knobs and you can't forget the light up pads! :D

You can find cheap one on eBay. I scored one for $108 with shipping!

The nanopad is definitely a great deal though. But I would go for the padkontrol if you can find one for a good price.

By the way, if you go with the padkontrol, snare stands work great as a stand!

Of course, it's all a matter of workflow ;) but from my experience, the padkontrol is GREAT!

DEFINITELY the padkontrol. The nanopad would be good for a quick portable setup but it's much more limited functionality-wise than the padkontrol. (for instance, everything that can be done in the korg editor can be done on the padkontrol itself on-the-fly. Not true for the nanopad.)

There are also two programable knobs and you can't forget the light up pads! :D

You can find cheap one on eBay. I scored one for $108 with shipping!

The nanopad is definitely a great deal though. But I would go for the padkontrol if you can find one for a good price.

By the way, if you go with the padkontrol, snare stands work great as a stand!

Of course, it's all a matter of workflow ;) but from my experience, the padkontrol is GREAT!

Thanks for the advice. I just got one for $115 shipped! Not as cheap as yours but close. Can't wait to try it out.

Awesome! There really is a lot to this little machine. You're going to love it.

I've posted this guy's YouTube channel here before, but I'll give it out again. He has made some GREAT videos on the different features of the padKontrol. You'll learn a lot of cool tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Stray411

(I'd like to note that I have no idea who this youtube person is, I just really support the work he's put into his videos and the free help and advice he gives. Great Job! :D)

Oh also, you mentioned you'll be doing mostly metal.. Here's a tip to start you off, try using hold and flam to get a double-kick effect ;)

Thanks. I saw some of his videos when I was comparing the nanopad. I'll have to check more of them out.

I've been using a keyboard for drums for years so it will be nice to make better sounding double bass parts and complicated fills. Oh I forgot to ask if you need a power cord or does it just run on USB? I see some people use power cords so I'm not sure if i have to buy one separately.

Yep it's completely bus-powered. There is a switch on the back that can force the padkontrol to use a power pack but it's not needed. The only time you really need it is if you're using midi cables.

Back