Korg Legacy Digital Edition or Triton Le?

Remedial

I'm kind of stuck between these two. I have the option of purchasing the Korg Legacy Digital Edition, mainly for the M1 softsynth (which includes all of the available PCM data and Program/Combination data from all nineteen optional ROM cards). Additionally, the Version 1.5 free update adds all of the PCM data of the successor to the M1 - the T Series - including the piano PCM that was included only on the flagship T1. Along with the Programs and Combinations of the T-Series instruments, the entire contents of the optional TSD-01 through 05 disks are also included. All of this for just $199.

My other option is the Korg Triton Le. I would be getting this by trade for my Akai MPC 2000XL (which I mainly use as a midi controller these days). It sounded pretty good when I played it, but when I think of only 32 MB of ROM, that strikes me as not enough to produce realistic sounds.

For a little more insight into what kind of sounds I'm looking for, I'm mainly searching for good electric pianos, pianos, basses and strings, with maybe a few eccentric synth sounds for good measure.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

It depends.

If you are playing out on live gigs I'd recommend going for the keyboard. But if you are using it in a studio primarily for recording, then the legacy edition might be a good way to go.

However, it's important to remember that an M1 is not a Triton. The expanded M1 with the T series ROM (which I own the hardware version of) is only 8 megs I believe. Add in all those expansion cards and I think you still come in well under the 32 megs of the Triton Le.

Further, the 88 key Triton LE has the piano expansion board in it, which I don't think is even an option in the 76 and 61 key Triton LE's. So if you want piano, then the Triton LE 88 is the one to get. The pianos in the M/T series are really poor compared to more recent synths.

All the sounds you descirbe needing are in the Triton LE.

Back