Korg Karma or Korg LE.

G. Heywood

I am considering buying a keyboard strictly for homestudio use. I tried the Korg Karma and was blown away. I heard the Korg LE is no slouch either. I basically want the keyboard unit as a sound coloring source for all types of music. On board sequencing is a definite plus. Can any users of these two units, tell me about why they bought it and why they like it, and what they can and can't do with it. I like lots of paint colors on my palate, so I'm leaning towards the Karma. Thanks.

you must mean the Korg Triton LE .. the LE is way better than a karma.. it's got up to 64 megs of sampling.. but hey.. if you like the karma.. personally i don't really like any of them :D

well the karma got a fine arpeggiator while the triton le got sampling.. otherwise they're pretty much the same.. so i should think it's a matter of whether you allready have a sampler or not and wether you need that arpeggiator...

i own a triton le it is a karma, well almost its not expandable, but for the price of a karma and one expansion you can get a le and a roland rackmount jv series for the price le is the way to go.

The karam function is really great. I don't think many people know exactly what it does since it is not an arppegiator. It is quite a different beast. On thing it can really do is come up with some truly inspiring moments. It is a great instrument to play and, as far as sounds, they probably have the same or relatively the same. So, you should really check out the KARMA's functions and see (hear) if that is something you think you might want to use. If you go onto YAHOO, you can go to Karma-lab.com and you will learn much about that keyboard. Also, the new Herbie Hancok record Future 2 Future I believe it is called, uses the KARMA quite a bit and so you can get an idea of some of the things you can do. In fact, there is an interview with Mr. Hancok in Keyboard magazine or amybe Electronic Musician either this month or last month. He tells how in his live show he uses a Karma and his co-keyboardist also uses one. They make extensive use of the "Generated Effects" which is the heart of the KARMA system. This thing is truly a new and interesting approach to electronic music and the promise of sequencing and computers. This is where the computer actually assists in the development of the song, or parts or composition or whatever you may want or need. You could explore this thing for a long time to come and the sounds are good too. For instance, the stsring sounds are great. In fact, many of the sounds are great. And, as always, and as I will always say, if is not the keyboard or the sounds, it is the person using it and how musical that person is with the sounds.the Karma is a unique and great sounding keyboard that has many useful functions. I say go for it.

Back