Korg Kaoss Pad as synth controller?

klytus

Has anyone used one of these - I'm really keen to find new ways to control synth sounds to find new and exciting sounds.

I thought maybe a Kaoss pad would let you get sounds from a MIDI synth that would be impossible with just knobs and faders.

If anyone knows anything about these things I'd love to hear it.

Chrs
Klytus

not really, unless you want to use it as an effects engine (if your synth doesn't have sufficient effects)
i'd prefer a pocket control from doepfer to control my synths though...

The new kaoss pad II is fucking bad ass. It won't control your synth as far as playing notes. But it is nonetheless really cool. The new one is actually an instrument itself. It's got some great moogy sounds and funkified beats all built in, as well as some really great effects and a sampler. Check it out if you get a chance!

Ok, thx for the help - seems the kaoss is really designed for mixing on the fly, less for studio work. Ah well...

Pocket Control

oh, Chriss - I just checked out the Pocket Control from Doepfer, looks great for the price, but how easy is it to assign the controls on virtual synths to the pots on the PC?

If it isnt too much of a pain, I might get one.

it's really easy.. they have a software that'll let you do it on your computer, so you can assign absolutely anything to a knob...
It's great, cause there's so much stuff on synths these days that you can't just grab a knob and change the parameters..

the pocket dial is very cool if your sequencer or synth supports it.. (i should have bought one of those, cause cubase does...)

there is only one problem with the pocket control. if you use a sequencer that won't be much of a hazzle, but manually changing between presets with the pin switch is a pain.
The only easy way, is to use your sequencer and make a program change, you're gonna have the sequencer signal routed through anyway...

Personally, i only use two different presets, 16*volume and a preset i've made for my supernova, so for me, it's just flicking a pin.

If you wanna use much more than 4-8 presets (64 controllers...) and you don't use a sequencer, you'll probably want something with more easy preset change (although, your synth can also send program messages...) but it's gonna cost ya...
To be more specific... the way you change between presets is with 8 little pins.. now they follow the binary logic, so as long as your presets are the first ones, it's really easy to switch..
preset 1 = the first pin.. preset 2 = the second.. preset 3 the 1 and 2nd... this get's more annoying as we enter the 2 digit numbers. but i seriously doubt you'll have any need of that...
If you use a sequencer, i say go for it... it's a really sturdy little sunnovabitch..

Back