Korg D8

Thanks a lot, Green Hornet and Ranger. Those links answered my questions.

[Green Hornet: Funny enough, Campari is one my favorite drinks. Unfortunately, from a financial standpoint, I'm in the wrong Kompare family.]

Hopefully Buck62 will read this. I'm thinking about purchasing the Korg D8 since it's in my budget. Short of going to a store to check it out, I have six questions:

1. Does it have XLR inputs or 1/4-inch inputs?
2. If no XLR inputs, can it accept a condenser mic with an impedance-transformer plug?
3. What is its EQ ability? High and low?
4. Does it have cut-and-paste ability?
5. Are any special extra cables required?
6. Does it allow mixdown direct to an external CD recorder (eg, Tascam CD-RW700 or CD-RW5000)?

Any insights are appreciated.

Yo Kompare: [Cumpari is a great drink over ice, with soda]

I do know that the Korg box you're talking about can only record on two channels at once; it can playback all 8 channles. My MD-8 can record on four channels at once and, of course, playback on all 8.

If you want the specs on the Korg, and no one answers you here, just dial up Korg on the net and you can get the info about the plugs and etc.
www.korg.com

Happy shopping.

Green Hornet

Okay, here's the skinny on the D8...
1: It has 1/4 inch jack inputs, RCA inputs, and (most importantly) a digital fiber optic input. It also has digital out and RCA outputs.
2: (see answer #1)
3: It has Hi EQ and Low EQ.
4: Yes, it has cut and paste abilities... copy track functions, swap track functions, manual AND auto punch features, and even has trigger recording.
5: No special cables are required, unless you want to add a jaz drive or zip drive for extra room or to back up or save your work. That would require a SCSI cable.
I also use a digital/fiber optic cable to go direct/digital to my CDRW. It allows a PERFECT digital transfer, with NO LOSS IN SOUND QUALITY whatsoever.
6: Yes, you can use any make of cd recorder or cd-rewritable recorder with the KORG D8... unlike the Roland units, which will only work with a Roland cd burner (so they make more money on you).
I highly suggest using a rewritable cd recorder with ANY digital recorder. That way you can do practice mixes without using a ton of recordable cd's, which can get expensive.
I do several mixes on a cdrw disc, pick the best one or two mixes, put the cdrw in my Sony cd player (which has a digital output, and plays rewritable discs) and then digitally tranfer those mixes on to a regular cdr disc, which I use as my master.
It saves me a lot of time and money that way.

The only downfall of The D8 is that you cannot record more than 2 tracks simultaneously, unless you use a mixer... (which I do for my drum tracks)
Other than that, it's a terrific machine.
As you've probably read, I'm going to release a 10 song cd that was entirely done on this unit, and the recording quality has been superb.
I have absoloutely no regrets for buying the Korg D8.
I would try to negotiate a better price than the $850.00 sale price at Sam Ash and Musicians Friend. I paid $650.00 for it last May, but that was with the 1.3 gig hard-drive, not the 2.1 gig the machine has now.
You should be able to work them down at least a hundred bucks by going back and forth between a couple of stores.

Hope this helped... :)

[This message has been edited by Buck62 (edited 03-01-2000).]

Thanks, Buck62. I've read your other posts on the D8, too, and found them most helpful.

Which CDRW do you use? I've read and heard that the Tascam CD-RW5000 is excellent because you can use cheaper discs than the Philips consumer model.

Kompare...
I have a Phillips CDR880 (rewritable)

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to use ONLY Phillips discs.

I use Maxell discs, which are much cheaper and even sound better (Maxell gold).
I do use a couple of Phillips rewritables to do my practice mixes, but I've had them for a year and burned hundreds of remixes on them with no loss of sound quality... at least not that I can hear.

Back