Korg D1600 V/s Yamaha AW2816

melodyandbeats

I've almost decided I'll be buying the Korg, but is there anybody who feels that the yamaha might be a better option.

I'm tired of doing my research and just wanna go grab the Korg.

Yo M & B:]

I can't tell you much about the Korg since I've never used one. However, I do use the Yam 2816.

The 2816 has an "ugly" manual; but, if you have some recording experience and read and re-read the manual and push the buttons, you will soon learn to get around the 2816.

Burning CD's on the 2816 is about the easiest part to understand via the manual.

You will need to buy a USP power supply unit if you go for the Yam. If you are recording and the power goes out, the manual states you could damage the HD and you will lose data. Yamaha does not tell you this in their glitzy advertising but it is in the manual. Also, Yamaha puts the "required shut-down procedudre" on page 12 of the manual -- dumb move.

The reserve power unit I have will give me eleven minutes of power if regular power goes out. It only takes 15 seconds to shut down the unit.

I didn't turn on my unit for about a month when I bought it as I wanted to be sure I didn't screw up anything; so, I sat and read the manual and recorded with my MD8.

Between the MD8 and the 2816, there is NO comparison. The Yam unit produces "excellent" sound. If your Korg does that, go for it. It's all in the wallet and the ears.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :p :cool:

The Green Hornet said:
Yo M & B:]

I can't tell you much about the Korg since I've never used one. However, I do use the Yam 2816.

The 2816 has an "ugly" manual; but, if you have some recording experience and read and re-read the manual and push the buttons, you will soon learn to get around the 2816.

Burning CD's on the 2816 is about the easiest part to understand via the manual.

You will need to buy a USP power supply unit if you go for the Yam. If you are recording and the power goes out, the manual states you could damage the HD and you will lose data. Yamaha does not tell you this in their glitzy advertising but it is in the manual. Also, Yamaha puts the "required shut-down procedudre" on page 12 of the manual -- dumb move.

The reserve power unit I have will give me eleven minutes of power if regular power goes out. It only takes 15 seconds to shut down the unit.

I didn't turn on my unit for about a month when I bought it as I wanted to be sure I didn't screw up anything; so, I sat and read the manual and recorded with my MD8.

Between the MD8 and the 2816, there is NO comparison. The Yam unit produces "excellent" sound. If your Korg does that, go for it. It's all in the wallet and the ears.

Green Hornet:D :p :p :p :cool:
Thanks, Green Hornet. I've been reading about your Yamaha experience in some other threads, as well.
I'm also expecting some Korg user to comment about the 'sonic quality' in the D1600.

I'll be that guy. I have the Korg D16 (older model), and the sound quality is excellent. The only other boxes I can compare to are ones I have used (a Roland VS1680 and an old Akai DPS12). Sonically is blows them away. Even in 16 bit mode it does a killer job. And the pure functionality of the machine is awesome. The manual is an easy read (just a point of mention). So, I can't compare it to the Yamaha, but I'll bet sound-wise it is just as good. Do your homework, and go out and check both machines. See which one suits you best. But, don't go and make a "impulse buy" out of a $1500 box.

Peace out,
Mike

Yo Mike of the Ritz:

I'll wager you that the converters in the Korg do not match those in the Yamaha 2816.

The Yam 2816 also has 32 bit DSP processing; I don't think the Korg can match that.

But, I do not say that the Korg cannot do good stuff. I can't say that because I've never used the unit.

Headroom? The 2816 is outstanding. Mic Pres? The 2816 has good ones; however, I still use a outboard mic pre at times.

I've been looking at the Grace Design mic pre and think I'll get one. It is high end and the "press" is very good.

Have phoon,
Green Hornet

:D :p :p :p :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Back