Korg D1600 / PC communication

flipdog

Hello, new person here, loooong time since I used a forum so please forgive if I breach some etiquette.

long story short: I have for the last 4 or 5 years been recording direct to pc for subsequent building/editing, but now my pc is not up to the task. I'm getting it looked at in the hope that the problem is simply a software one, but if my worst fears are realised and its the hardware thats knackered, it may be a while before I can afford a new one fit for the purpose.

Anywho, my dad has given me his Korg D1600 as he never uses it anymore. According to the manual that goes with it, it doesn't really hook up to a pc. According to this thread, there may be a USB connection but I don't see one on mine which makes me wonder if its an early model.

As I'd much rather mix on a PC, I'd like to record on the device to keep myself ticking over but then subsequently transfer the wavs to a pc. Does anyone have one of the older models and, if so, do you know of a way in which I can achieve this, short of soloing each track and re-recording it in PC software?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark, can't say with 100% knowledge, but I think it could be as simple as:

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 3.5-Inch Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader (35BAYCF2IDE): Electronics
SYBA SD-CF-IDE-BR Adapter - Newegg.com

You get the picture. What is nice is that one, IDE is a standard, so that should not be a problem. Two, if the unit already has the export function, then the format and formatting should be compatible with any desktop. Third, since this is a CD drive, 3.5 inch holder should bolt right in.

I did this once with an old Roland 4 track for a guy next door. Worked rather easy, not sure why, it won't work for the D1600. I will be honest, based on what I have read and know, this should be easily doable and cost very little to experiment with it.

Hope I helped.

Looking through some old bookmarks that may be of help with the D1600....

D1600 Forum
Korg D1600 Resources

Forgot this one.... :rolleyes:
Timescale R&D: Korg D1600 CF card mod Part I
Timescale R&D

Looking at the CF Card mod link, this is similar to what I did with the old Roland recorder a couple of years back. But what was described here was an HD replacement. Why I think the CD drive replacement would be easier is that the machine is already setup to export in a format that is likely reading for PC reading.

Replacing the HD, could be a bit more complex depending on how the machine formats the drive. The Roland formatted its HD in a proprietary format, so the PC could not read the disk. Maybe the Korg uses FAT(XX), but for simple exporting (as a first step) should be straight forward and nothing changes except for the medium it is exporting to. That is my thinking anyway.

Back