Korg D12, Tascam 788 Or Fostex Vf16

darrin_h2000 said:
Are you using a mic pre with the korg d8?

I'm running my mics thru a Boss DE100 Digital Delay unit, which is preamped suficiently to give the vocals the kick needed. I also utilize the on-board effects, ie. "Punch" vocal and edit the parameters. I lay down vocals using a Beta 57, and I also like to use my EV457, which is great for back-up and harmony, as it really brings out a good bottom end. Pop screens on both mics.

I bought my first D8 when they came out, Canadian Price: "gasp" $1100
Second unit cost me $900 "ouch!!!"

Linking the two

One is the slave, the other, the master. I run out optically to the Pioneer CD recorder. I have a stand alone EQ, but I by pass that unit on final mixdown, opting instead to use the on-board individual track EQ.Midi out from unit #1, to midi in on unit #2. Optical out from unit #2 to the Pioneer. :rolleyes:
Ooops. :( ..forget to mention the optical between the 2 D8's.

Last edited:
I am so happy that I spent the extra money to get the AKAI DPS16. I looked at the 788 because they were gonna have a feature where you can burn wav files to a cd for burning. Then take those files to a PC. Cool. The akai has that plus a metronome so I don't waste a track for time. 24 bit recording at 96k, good enough effects. Two clean xlr phantom powered ins.

The thing is amazing simple to use. It reminds me of a reel to reel. Thats the coolest thing. Sounds great, and it's easier than snot to use. At the time the competing multitrack is Roland VS. The roland VS was too much crap to figure out. Its more like a computer than a recorder. You have to shut it down like windows so that the disk cache gets written. The akai you just turn it off when your done with a switch, like a recorder.
Faders are awesome sound is good dsps are clean.

I have other gear that I hate. But I lurve my akai. I use it 90% more than cakewalk, logic with my motu 1224 dsp. It's just so easy.

I'll stop now.

Thanks for all the posts. I went with my initial gut feeling! I just ordered the 788 package deal from MF. Now, the only thing I need to worry about, is figuring the damn thing out. I'm very exited about this. I've been wanting to record for years, but could never afford it until now. Hope I can rely on all the experienced folks on this bbs for advice.

P

Back