km-184s

BradD

I just bit the bullet and scored a pair of km-184s off ebay. This will be my first pair of SDCs and I thought I would try to do it right the first time. I'll be using them mainly for acoustic and my Hammond/Leslie.

Anybody have a pair of these? What are their characteristics? Do you like them?

My GAS and poverty continues.

I have a pair which I use for ambients, overheads, and general purpose. I've also found them to be really good to mic my double-bass. The KM-184 is small enough to be suspended underneath the bridge, using rubber-bands, and the results are incredibly good. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Congrats on the Neumanns - you'll love 'em!

- Wil

km184 rules !, never sucks imho.
i use then on
OH
room /ambient
snare/tom
acc. git.
great on amp's
pretty good on vocals to ,maybe a bit 'clean'.

Remco

I recently got a KM184 shipped from England for just $399.- plus $20.- 3-day shipping with FedEx (www.studiocare.com). Is that a good deal or what? :-)

I LUV that mic! Have great results recording my tenor sax coz it captures all the subtleties of the instrument and can easily handle the high sound pressure.

Well, some of the overgeared bash them, saying they're just not up to what the old KM84's were, and it may very well be true. I wouldn't know, I've never gotten to own a pair of SD's that good! Congratulations.-Richie

I recently compared my KM84 with a friends KM184. The 184 was quite a bit brighter than the KM84... if anything the 184 sounded closer to my AKG451EB than it did to the 84! I don't mean the same... just closer. The KM84 has a nice kind of 'woody' tone on acoustic guitar and while sounding less immediate than a 184, still gives me what I can only describe as a kind of honest down to earth kind of sound that I never tire of.

Still if anyone has a pair of 184's goin' cheap?! ;)

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting my 184s and trying them out. I should have them early next week. I'll let you know my thoughts once they arrive.

Well, I feel like an eight year old at Christmas. My KM-184s arrived today. They're in perfect condition. I just did some quick tracking with them on acoustic and Hammond organ. Very nice. I'm using a RNP as my pre, then directly into Digi 001.

First, I recorded some stereo acousic with one mic at the 12th fret about 8 in. away, and the other mic at the bridge about 8 in away. I used a pick for one track and finger picked the other. This is my first pair of SDCs. The first thing I noticed is that damn these things are sensitve. Very accurate and detailed. I'm more of keyboard player and have only been playing acoustic for about a year. These bring out all of my deficiencies as a guitar player. String noise, buzzing strings ect. I compared these tracks to some identical tracks I recorded a few weeks ago with the SP C1 alone, and in combination with the the MXL 63M.

The SP C1 is an excellent vocal mic, but as a solo mic for acoustic I find that it sounds a little too metallic. It was nicer with the MXL 63M as a spaced pair. However, the KM-184s have a more present sound. They are also considerably more accurate. I know they aren't supposed to be as flat as say the Earthworks, but they sound damn flat, accurate and uncolored to me.

On my Hammond A102/Leslie 147 these things sound divine. They pick up the complex overtones of the Hammond very nicely. It sounds very professional. I placed them in a 90 degree angle, about a foot away from the horn notches. I think I got this positioning from Harvey. The KM 184s will definitely be my Hammond mics when the Hammond is the lead instrument. When the Hammond needs to blend into the rhythm section, a pair of SM-57s in the same position do a very nice job.

Well, that's my novice review. Since these are my first SDCs I can't compare them to any others. All I can say is that they sound damn nice to me.

Back