Klipsch THX monitors any good?

jdrockweller

(Sorry for cross-posting this one with the same post in the Newbies section...)

I am currently using a computer as my mixing station. It has a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum soundcard for output and my monitors are essentially my computer speakers. As far as I know, they are pretty good. It's a 5 piece Klipsch THX setup with 4 speakers and a beefy dual-subwoofer - all of which I paid about $400 for new a couple years ago.

Has anyone got any experience using this type of setup for monitoring?

Will the separate subwoofer f**k up my mixes?

Even though it sounds great for listening to my music CDs, is my Klipsch setup worth a damn for monitoring when I'm mixing?

I had the same set last year. I sold em and got monitors.
I did'nt like em for mixing. In fact, I was'nt real happy with em period. They will color the mix too much and not give a true representation of the mix.

For $400 you could have probably got a decent pair of monitors on Ebay. PC speakers like Klipsch will hype the highs and lows to the point of doing you absolutely no good. They will lie through their teeth. If you're just doing stuff to play for your mom or your kid brother, fine. But if you're serious, then monitors are the only way to go. You need honest speakers to mix.

any recommendations for active monitors which are relatively inexpensive but have an abnormally high quality for their respective price bracket?

i have the klipsch 4.1, i use them for listening and unfortunatly for mixing until i can afford monitors. And they are terrible. little satalites with 3.5 inch drivers, and a big flappy exadurated sub woofer, terrible! Home stereo book shelf speakers would be a large step up.

Back