Klipsch speakers ?

flamin-gitaur

Does anyone out there use Klipsch speakers for mixing? I hear people say that good hi-fi speakers are just as good to mix on as true "studio" monitors. Is this true? I was considering getting a pair of Klipsch speakers for that reason, that way I can also use them for just listening to music. I have a buddy who has a pair hooked to his PC as multi-media speakers. but when you listen to them , they easily rival the Bose' home entertainment system that he has which costs bout' $2000. The all around clarity sounds phenominal, I just don't know how good they would do to mix on. :eek:

in a word....no. Get some studio monitors. High end speakers are tweaked to make music sound better than it may normally. In a nutshell anyway.

I have the Klipsch 525 THX Ultra's (not the Klipsch you would find at best buy) and found that they made everything kind'a sound to good. And they are even EQ'd with a Rane THX44 EQ, which they are +/- 2 or 3dBs after EQ, so its not just that they aren't flat in frequncy response, they do something to the sound to make it nice, real nice. I was mixing in my hometheater, I had to get out of there. So I got myself some Whaefedale 8.2s (which cost for the pair about half as much as one of my main Klipsch speakers) and things are now right with the world. Also I think I had to get into the nearfield of the speakers, with the Klipsch as was about 11-13 feet away from them. I don't know maybe they would work just fine for mastering??? Maybe I am on drugs and have no idea what I am talking about... :(

No, definitely not. I've mixed on Klipsch multimedia speakers and they are not anywhere near flat. Impossible to EQ your mixes on those speakers. They might be useful to check your mixes on for translation, but I would definitely not recommend using them for primary mixing.

flamin-gitaur said:
Weeelll then, I guess I won't be gettin' any for mixin'. Thank for the input guys!! Much appreciated. :)

Also be aware that those Bose satellite systems sound like complete crap, with poor high-end response and a very weak midrange.

mshilarious said:
Also be aware that those Bose satellite systems sound like complete crap, with poor high-end response and a very weak midrange.

I thought the saying was "No highs, No Lows, must be Bose!" :D

Juggernaut said:
I thought the saying was "No highs, No Lows, must be Bose!" :D

Yeah that was before the satellite systems. The Direct/Reflecting series was the midrange box :p ;) Now they have tubby bass, no midrange, and no highs above 8 kHz :( :eek: :D

I use the 8.2 active Wharfs for monitoring. As many know, they aren't the greatest for getting a great low end mix. That being said, when it's time to check my low end, I output through my Klipsh 4.1 system. No, it is not a transparent system, and no, you shouldn't mix through them. For me, they serve as a good low end check as well as give me another set of speakers to quickly run a mix through.

Concerning the Bose thing - I've not spent an extensive time listening to Bose, but the Klipsch I have are amazing.

I mixed on old Klipsch 3-ways for years :rolleyes: and finally up graded.
On one hand, the difference is amazing, but on the other hand, though they are obviously not flat' they were true enough, I new them very well and had very few surprises at mastering houses. Bottom line, you can learn and adjust, and knowing your room and speakers is the bigger factor -but you'll likely work harder to get there.

By the way. The newpuppies.. :D
http://www.4sptech.com/version2/continuum-ad_features.html
Yes I should have done it much sooner as there really is no comparison between 'in the ballpark' and accurate...
But then I wouldn't have held out -or likely sprung a bit extra for these.

Very happy camper here. :D
Wayne

Back