Kiss inspired Classic Rock

Guitars sound good, nice playing and sounds. Vocals sound good too, I like this. Can't really think of anything to critique, sorry.

I like the guitar solo, could have been a little longer though.

Dude, it sounds a whole lot like Mr. Speed, and thats a good thing. :)

Very cool song. Definite vintage KISS vibe. Very Ace-like solo too. Fucking awesome. No nits from me. :)

Man this is awesome! I don't know alot about bands like Kiss sadly...they didn't really make it to our side of the pond. But the intro reminds me of Creedence for some reason.

Solo blew me away. I'd like some fills maybe, you've got talent so show it!!

Great sound.

TelePaul said:
Man this is awesome! I don't know alot about bands like Kiss sadly...they didn't really make it to our side of the pond.
Sure they did. Their heyday was in the 70's and then again in the late 80's. You just don't remember.

The track sounds great. Cool mid 70's vibe.

Farview said:
Sure they did. Their heyday was in the 70's and then again in the late 80's. You just don't remember.

The track sounds great. Cool mid 70's vibe.

I honestly don't think their appeal here was anything the like of what it was there. I'm just basing that on current appeal, there are a lot more Stones fans over here than Kiss fans! Britain didn't exactly need rock icons in the 70's....they had their own. By the time the 80s came around, well then it was punk and the rest of that goth rock and indy stuff.

Honestly though, I know Kiss are legendary in the US. I just can't equate the style precisely to something over here...A comparison to Status Quo really doesn't do the song any justice! :D

This is the second song you posted. I like what you are doing a lot. My only nit is that you find your own style. The last song you posted was an homage too, right? You have a lot of talent, and it's obvious that you are not new to recording. If you find your own style, you could go beyond what most of us are doing here.

TelePaul said:
I'm just basing that on current appeal, there are a lot more Stones fans over here than Kiss fans! :D
There are more stones fans here too. They were at it for 10 years before kiss even started, they have an extra generation worth of fans. I would assume the 80's version of the band didn't quite make it there, so that would also lessen their fand base. In the mid 70's they were selling out everything all over the world. Someone had to be showing up. Of course all of those people are in their 40' and 50's now. Hell even the fans from the 80's would be in their 40's. Kiss's big reunion tour was 10 years ago.

Thanks a lot everyone for listening and sharing your thoughts. It's great to have so many critical listeners to get feedback from. I really lose perspective after awhile, this really helps and gives me a shot in the arm as well.
Danny and Tele... I was trying to keep the solo short and sweet somewhat like Ace used to, but thanks for wanting more. I guess it's better to keep the audience wanting more instead of gving them too much.
Greg... Mr Speed indeed.
Rokket... in regards to my own style, I have plenty of non homage songs, probably too many! This one and the AC/DC song are part of a project that I'm working on that will hopefully generate a little money. I promise not to make a habit out of it :)

Thanks again...
Jon

jjtcorsair said:
Thanks a lot everyone for listening and sharing your thoughts. It's great to have so many critical listeners to get feedback from. I really lose perspective after awhile, this really helps and gives me a shot in the arm as well.
Danny and Tele... I was trying to keep the solo short and sweet somewhat like Ace used to, but thanks for wanting more. I guess it's better to keep the audience wanting more instead of gving them too much.
Greg... Mr Speed indeed.
Rokket... in regards to my own style, I have plenty of non homage songs, probably too many! This one and the AC/DC song are part of a project that I'm working on that will hopefully generate a little money. I promise not to make a habit out of it :)

Thanks again...
Jon

look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

jjtcorsair said:
Greg... Mr Speed indeed.

Thanks again...
Jon
I want you to post your own stuff! :D

THAT I want to hear...

This definetly sounds like vintage Kiss in the hard panning of the guitars and drums....vocals sound fantastic to me...Guitar solo is channeling Ace..nice job!
The tune rocks....great job!

TravisinFlorida, johnnymegabyte, variaxman....

Thanks for the compliments. I was worried that I couldn't accomplish a viable sound alike but I guess I did alright.

Tele and Rokket...

At some point I'll get back to sounding like myself again, but in the meantime this is a hoot.

Jon

jjtcorsair - dude, didn't you win like an oscar or a grammy or something? I may have you mixed up with somebody else who posted here like 5 years ago, but I don't think so.

AT ANY RATE, mix is solid. You did a great job with the bass...it's got a lot of definition, but it's not completely devoid of low end either. You definitely accomplished the vintage KISS vibe.

Thank God this didn't sound like "Lick It Up," lol.

Be well man.

There are so many things worse than 70's Kiss. I'm hoping Gene and Paul show up next week on American Idol.

Greg - thanks for the heads up on that heartbeat tune. I almost checked it out today but it was much better at night. I found myself in the fetal position sucking my thumb while listening to it.

Chris Harris - I did post here about 5 years ago. I think you remember me because I do sound fx for movies. No, I've never won a grammy. I couldn't be more unlikely to win a grammy actually. I've worked on some movies that won Oscars but I've never won one. I remember you too, you were and still are very talented. Do you have a daughter that sings? Am I confusing you with someone else?

jjtcorsair said:
Chris Harris - I did post here about 5 years ago. I think you remember me because I do sound fx for movies.

No, I remember you because you had really really good ears, lol. I actually remember you hearing guitar edits on headphones, and I don't even remember the song. :D It's odd what we keep with us.

Do you have a daughter that sings? Am I confusing you with someone else?

Yup...that'd be Jaimee. If you're curious, I uploaded most of our latest CD to our garageband page recently (http://www.garageband.com/artist/betteroffdad) - It's funny, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody around the net who's heard me sing lead on ANYTHING since about 2002, lol.

Again, good stuff man...I need to find your AC/DC-ish effort!

Back