"Kingsport Bound"...sort of "Folk Rock"?

I think the song itself gets pretty close to the vibe you are looking for. Some interesting lyrics. Something to open up your nose before tracking vocals might help with the nasal/stuffy quality you're getting. The drums and keys are out of place. That kick with the bass guitar is too "in-your-face" for a folky number, imo.

With some brushed drums, steel guitar, and harmonica, you'd have it nailed.

Yeah, all that scrubs said. Expecially that kick/bass thing. Maybe different mic positioning would help with the nasal vocals - it does with our singer.

You haven't quite got the hang of the songwriting, but it's a good effort. You're pushing too many syllables into too few beats. That apparent Springsteen simplicity is harder than it seems!

Hmmm..

I like the idea of the song, and you're definitely going in the "springsteen direction" but no matter what springsteen does, he sounds organic...
Although your vocals aren't perfect...I don't think your vocal quality is the problem (although a bit nasaly)

It appears that you're singing about some meaningful stuff BUT that "casio band in a box" sound is just taking away from it.

That synth layered sound you got going in the back will work, but bust out a real acoustic guitar and bring that song back to earth.

The song idea\structure has plenty of potentional and you are definitely in the right neighborhood as far as what you stated you wanted to accomplish.

Thanks for listening.......by the responses it seems the major weakness of this song (and I agree) is the sound/level/execution of the bass/drum sounds (with varying opinions on the songwriting, vocal, and string sounds). I probably am stuck with the voice I have (since I can't find another reliable singer)...I will try the advice about trying other mic positions, and try to get away from the auto-accompaniment feel and into a more organic feel.

Back