Kinda Newbie question about keyboards

Brahmb

Hey. I've had a Korg Digital Piano 2000 forever, and it is midi capable. My question is the following:

I want to get something like the Triton Extreme, but want the weighted keyboard. Is there a cheaper alternative that I can run through the Korg Digital and will give me great sounds, layering, sequencing, sampling and arpeggiating? I love the feel of my digital, but the sounds, let's face it, they suck. They're almost 20 years old. Can I get some module that will be controlled through midi that has everything above, or will I have to shell out the $$$$ for the Triton? (BTW the tube idea is good to me, but not a neccessity, especially if I can get better sounds running through an amp system).

Thanks

If you want to use your Korg as a keyboard controller to trigger sounds from a module, then certianly a good option would be to buy a sound module (vs. a keyboard) - in particular if you like the way your korg feels..

Keep in mind that a 20 year old keyboard may have somewhat limited MIDI capabiliies - certainly you will be able to trigger sound on and sound off - but make sure you understand what the Korg can or can't do (vs. what MIDI functions may be important to you). Some older boards don't send things such as touch response (which could defeat the use of the Korg as a master controller)

You indicate you want the ability to have great sounds, layering, sequencing, sampling and arpeggiating. Normally, but not always, modules don't provide sequencing (since that is normally a function of a jeyboard workstation). A module may or may not sample and it may of may not have arppeggiation. I would think any recent module would provide plenty pof layering and enough voices to achieve what you need.

You may want to prioritize the things you want/need as it's possible you may find modules that do some things but not others - in what case you need to decide what is most important (as an example - if I can sequence, I don't tend to use arppeggio as much). If you have a sampler, than perhaps you don't need great on board piano, etc. etc.

Thanks. I'm getting more info as we type. The Digital is touch sensitive, but I'm not sure if that means touch response. I'll have to contact Korg for the answer to that. As for specifics, I'd like to be able to split the keyboard (which it presently doesn't do on its own). I'd like to be able to layer the sound , having more than one instrument type play, the harder I press, only one the less I press, etc. As for sequencing, I'd like to have the ability to run a loop while playing live. As for sampling, I just want the best live sound I can get for piano, strings, and some wind instruments. Am I asking too much from a module? The Trton extreme claims to do all this, but I'm leery of a keyboard that isn't weighted as heavily as mine.

Back