Killing a room

carlosguardia

Ok, so I'm in the process of finishing up my vocal booth and am planning to make it as dead as I can. I want a completely anechoic environment. Question is, which is the best way to go for treating the room... and which would be the cheapest? My plan was to go out and get pyramidal shaped foam and just cover the whole room with it and then put a thick carpet on the floor.... but before I do so I thought I'd check over here for ideas or suggestions.

One more question... where could I find a way to send and return audio without having to buy a snake?! I only want 2 sends and 2 returns... maybe a couple of these but with those combo neutrik XLR/1/4" connections:

neutrik.jpg

Thanks,

Carlos

The pics of the panels you posted will work just fine for your sends/returns.

As far as making a completely dead environment for a vocal booth...I don't suggest that. In theory it sounds like a great idea..."I'll be able to record in a nice quiet space...I'll be able to hear all the nuances of my vocals, etc..." In reality though your vocals will sound like the space they were recorded in...dead and lifeless. Also, it is kind of uncomfortable being in a completely dead booth. When you clap your hands and all you hear is a "tick"...kinda weird. It's also uncomfortable for most clients (although if this is just for you, it might not be a problem.)

On the flip side of the coin, if you do decide to make a completely dead booth you can always crack the door a few inches to let some air in. This usually ends up sounding better on most stuff. Anyway, hope this helps. Good Luck.

Back