Killer Guitar Pawnshop Find !!!

Texsunburst59

Tuesday I Scored Parker Nitefly V5 at a Pawnshop for $159 + tax. It's a '98 USA made model. This it the same Pawnshop where I scored my '74 Fender Jazz Bass for $59 + tax. I know this is not a SUPER great deal,but I know I can't find a guitar this good for this little. This is not the pick of mine,but this is what it looks like,and is in just as good shape.

98ParkerNiteflyTobaccoSunburst.jpg

Here's the pic of my '74 Jazz Bass I scored at the same Pawnshop.

7402JazzBass002.jpg

Here's the receipts of the Jazz Bass and the Parker.

Jass Bass receipt:

Prom08.jpg

Parker Nitefly receipt:

98ParkerNiteflyredeipt.jpg

By the way, they screwed up on the listing of the Parker. They listed it as a Peavey with a different serial number. Maybe that's why it was so cheap.

Very sweet! Congrats! Those great pawn shop deals are fewer and fewer with eBay and all the internet resources. Any old pawn shop owner can just Google something and find its value--good for them, not so good for the rest of us looking for that underpriced gem...

It's no wonder that you got the Parker so cheap since half of the headstock is missing.

I would just assume pay full price and not have to hang around the scum at pawn shops long enough to find a deal at one, let alone a deal on something I actually want.

I would just assume pay full price and not have to hang around the scum at pawn shops long enough to find a deal at one, let alone a deal on something I actually want.

That's CRAZY. I'm just the opposite. I'd rather hang around ALL the scum at the pawn shops to a find a KILLER deal than pay full price on something that I feel is overpriced to begin with. Go figure.:)

Do you know Ca$H America's secret code? Right on the label, it tells you how much they paid for an item and when they RECEIVED it.

M A R Y L O U I S E
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Don't let on that you know, but it helps to negotiate a good deal.

Oh, and great score on the bass. I don't know anything about Parkers, but will take your word it's a deal. ;)

Well, there's pawn shops and then there's pawn shops, I guess. The pawn shops around Austin are generally well lighted, safe places to go. Many of them have musicians working behind the counter, though, which of course can make it hard to get a deal on gear.

Well, there's pawn shops and then there's pawn shops, I guess. The pawn shops around Austin are generally well lighted, safe places to go. Many of them have musicians working behind the counter, though, which of course can make it hard to get a deal on gear.

I go to Austin about once every 2 or 3 months, and have NEVER found a deal at any of them.All of my great scores have been in the little towns around my city. :)

The shops in Houston tend to care a lot more about how something looks than how it sounds -- at least if it's not a famous brand that they recognize. Hence the flawless MXL 990 for $169.99 sitting next to the dingy plastic boxes with MC-012s in them for $25 each, around here once.

I go to Austin about once every 2 or 3 months, and have NEVER found a deal at any of them.All of my great scores have been in the little towns around my city. :)

'Tis true; deals are rare. With all the musicians both selling and shopping in this town, the pawnbrokers here are pretty hip to the value of gear.

Here in San Antonio, TX.... I've encountered at least 4-5 of them that won't even LOOK at the guitar you're trying to pawn unless its MADE IN THE USA.

Then I look at their selection of JAY TURSER, ARIA, HONDO, and other cheapskate guitars and wonder if they were purchased when the guy was out of the office or something.

TEXSUNBURST59: Congrats on your purchase! I got a BIG kick out of that!!!

the cash america on lamar just south of barton creek rocks... maybe that's just because one of my buddies is the manager and he always gives me great deals though. :)
it is THE austin pawn shop for music gear. it's the one with the whole separate room for guitars and amps.

That's a very nice score-I wonder what the '2 frets' comment on the sale receipt is all about?
Will the shape let you use a rectangular Fender case without any problems?
Congrats again!
---Tony

I would blame the internet first.
Well, sure the internet, with ebay, google, craigslist and all that has had an effect, but in Austin there are so many musicians cruising the shops looking for deals that the pawnbrokers aren't that motivated to bargain. Many times they will price an item way higher than what they expect to get for it just so they can mark it down for you to try to give you the illusion that they are "dealing", sorta like music stores used to do with strings. Also, a lot of pawn shop employees here are musicians, so the merchandise is often picked over before it ever reaches the floor.

Back