Kickin' Preamps on a Budget!

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
So I just got a ART Pro VLA II Compressor (AWESOME PIECE OF EQUIPMENT!), but now the problem lies with a new preamp. I'm looking for a nice 8 channel preamp to run everything into before the compression, and back into my pro tools interface(s). I'll prbly get another VLA soon :D... so I'd like to get an 8 channel pre that's no more than $600. I was looking at the M-Audio Octane, I hear good things... what do you guys think?

LOL So you're saying that the Octane is OK? You wouldn't suggest anything else? Not that you need to.. I've heard the difference that the Octane makes haha............... btw, this may be a bit of a different avenue on the topic, BUT... I was wondering something (prbly very simple) how does everyone usually set the preamp gain before going into the comp then back into the preamp on the interface. I usually get a good sound and level then send it to the compressor, get the level BACK to a good place, then just adjust if needed on the final interface preamp. Does that sound like tooo much?

check out the tube opto 8 from ART. or a little out of budget but I've heard great things about Echo audio. They have a 8 channel pre for $699, focusrite and presonus make 8 channel pre's in that price range as well. I was close to buying the tube opto from ART but I've decided to go with the Echo to add 8 more channels to my profire 2626

Thanks, all very good suggestions. I think I could swing $699, I like the Golden Age stuff, very warm and all, but I haven't found one that has 8 in/out

Back