Kick Sound

hipknot01

Im recording a band right now and the only real problem im having is the kick drum sound. It just sounds so boxy. Ive tried all sorts of mic placements and nothing seems to work. The kick sounds great in the room. It has a aquarian super kick on the batter and and evans with a port on the resonant side. I really need to turn to eq on this im just not good at that at all. Any help appreciated.

The drum may sound cool in the room but how does it sound close to where you are micing it? If your going to eq it then try notching it somewhere between 300 and 500Hz. That should help get rid of some of the boxiness. Bump it up around 80Hz and 6.3kHz abit and compress the track. See if that helps. :)

The drum may sound cool in the room but how does it sound close to where you are micing it? If your going to eq it then try notching it somewhere between 300 and 500Hz. That should help get rid of some of the boxiness. Bump it up around 80Hz and 6.3kHz abit and compress the track. See if that helps. :)

what he said. really scoop out those frequencys around 300hz. they are the boxy frequencys.

Insert a parametric EQ

Adjust the "Q" or "bandwidth" so that it is very narrow

Boost the gain on that band about 10db.

Now, sweep the frequency control around the lower midrange.

listen for the most boxy sound. Leave the frequency control there.

Turn the gain down to about -6 or so.

Adjust the "Q" or "bandwidth" to a medium setting.

That's it. That method works for finding any frequency that you are trying to deal with.

Insert a parametric EQ

That's it. That method works for finding any frequency that you are trying to deal with.

This is the best piece of advice you will get about this as far as EQ is concerned. I was going to say this, but props to Farview for beating me to it. My good friend Blaze recently graduated from Berkelee in Boston, and this is a method taught to him by his professors also. I use this on everything I try to EQ these days. The Q and db reduction are different on everything you do, but that's what you'll have to experiment with... the technique is the same regardless though.

Insert a parametric EQ

Yea, pretty much. I wouldn't be so solid as to say "-6" though. I'd turn it down as much as it needs to to get a compromise between the sound you're trying to eliminate being gone, and then sound of the instrument changing dramatically. As little as -1.5 is sometimes all it takes, but if it's really bad, I have no problem going as far as it needs to (unless I have the option to retrack ;))

Back