kick mic'ing ideas

vanguard

Maybe someone has experimented enough to give me some tips on this. I'm kinda bored of the typical rock/pop/punchy kick sound that I've been doing. I've been recording these real organic feeling dance songs lately. I want a kick drum sound that has a more dynamic range of frequencies than the typical thump. Something vintage sounding that might have jazz applications as well as some dance applications. I haven't had any luck so far with this. Especially without using several mics.

has anyone stumbled onto a cool kick drum sound like this that might satisfy my cravings for something new?

I will probably be using a larger drum (24") in which I might be inclined to tune up a little higher if some nice overtones start popping out.

Also, I read a review of the CAD e100 that said it performed very well on a kick drum. did anyone else read this and try it out? That review is what sparked my curiosity for some new mic'ing ideas.

find an old speaker- I got 2 6" ones out of an old guitar amp, and wire a 1/4 inch cable to it. Run it through the line in on a mixer or preamp and use it like a kick mic. It has a nice vintage sound and is easy and cheap to make. It has a really full sound, and a big sub-thump to it.

mshilarious said:
I'd start with the beater head. I use a Remo Fiberskin head which has a very complex sound.

Good idea. That head used to irritate the piss out of me when I was a kid and had horrible taste in drum sounds. I will definately try that.

gtar02 said:
find an old speaker- I got 2 6" ones out of an old guitar amp, and wire a 1/4 inch cable to it. Run it through the line in on a mixer or preamp and use it like a kick mic. It has a nice vintage sound and is easy and cheap to make. It has a really full sound, and a big sub-thump to it.

nice! I'm going to have fun with this.

Back