kick drum recording.

what is the "better way to mic a kick drum?

• inside

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • outside

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • inside and outside

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • outside the back head

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • inside and out back

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • front and back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • inside,front and back

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Tim Brown said:

Yeah, but those drum sounds are not what made it onto the Record. Andy Wallace mixed that record because the label wasn't sure of Vig's mixes since that was the first major release that he had worked on. Wallace replaced the original drumsounds with ddrums, which he always does. He's the "track replacement master".

Tim

I was never a fan of Mr. Wallace's work because of all the triggering he does.

But I believe the drum sounds were triggered to the natural drums sounds that Mr. Vig engineered. So the drum sounds did make it to the record.

spinrecordings said:
I cheat, I use drum triggers :)

:D That works.
I'm thinking about getting a V-drum TD-8 or TD-10 to use for drumsounds....that way I can have quality sounds no matter what. I'm getting a really good drumsound on my recordings these days...but I'd like to be able to pull it off in a live setting, and not sure how well it would work with a bass player who tends to play fairly loud.
Sure, I would LOVE to have my own drumsound live...but as long as I can get the drum sounds relatively close to what I am after, I'm happy.I haven't been able to hear one locally to see what it sounded like.

I may be getting married (she asked me, so we're discussing it. Instant family, just add Tim :D) and if I do marry her, using electric drums to practice at home would make life a lot easier.:D

Her little boy (he's 5) was over here and the first thing he wanted to do was play drums. So I might train up another drummer....but this kid's gonne learn the Heel-Toe technique from the start!

Tim

Check out the alesis dm5 drum module.. I can't say enough good things about it.. it's great for snare/bass drum use because it has a main and aux output, so you can get them on seperate tracks!

You can grab em on ebay for like $200 and get a set of good triggers for about $100 (new)..

Good Luck!

Kick mic'd with Superlux PR 218B

I got a very acceptable sound from my kick with this very in-expensive Superlux mic.
I have an Evans Emad beater head and the front head has a 4" hole at 8 o'clock. The mic is pointed straight in - parallel to the sides of the drum (not pointed at the beater) and the tip of the mic about 1 inch inside the hole. Once recorded, tracks were brought into Logic and compression and Fat eq were the only things added. here is a link to the test. No mic on my set was more than $50.00 ea. brand new. there are 6 dynamic mics, two overhead condensers and a condenser for the hats. I used to believe in triggering - because I also have a DM5 - but now I'm very pleased with the sound I'm getting acoustically.

i just learded that, my fostex vf-16's eq (olny on lows) is fixed at 400hz. man that sucks! my mid and hi's will go from 500hz to 20khz. why would fostex make such a good recorder but, fix the low eq at 400hz!!!! i think that i will have to buy me a grafic eq. i know that you guys don't like to eq while your recording, but it's my only chance! (oh! and by the way, i just got a composser pro, so i now can add compression to 4 chs)

thanks,

zeke

I find it works okay for cut which I find is necessary for most all instruments except bass and kick unless you are looking for an undefined BIG bass overload sound.

If you were unable to capture the sound you want with the right mic and position and need boost your bottom, this EQ will not do it!. You will need a parametric. Put the parametric on the insert and run the KIck and bass in those channels. A descent used parametric or a new Behringer should run around $100.

I have a spectrum analyser and one day I plan to run a sweep on the fozzi and see if the display or your engineer is lying.

Wild Phil Harmonica.

Our drummer has a set of 57s cut off and permanently mounted inside each Tom and a D12 (I think) inside the Kick drum. Each has a flying lead. It sounds great and is quick to use live as we dont need additional stands and clips. Also each shell isolates the mic from the other drums. All his drums have double heads. The kick sounds great and we dont get that irritating low end boom when on a springy stage.

Zeke,

Post a beat or two of the raw kicks... No EQ or anything else...

I'd like to EQ it... I'll post my results...

theletterq said:
Actually it's fixed at 100Hz even though the display reads 400Hz. Still not great but better than the way it reads.

How do you know that?What lead you to this conclusion?Is there some documentation of this?I have the VF 16 and I dont hear that thing getting below the 400Hz that it displays.

I wish it did!:)

Last edited:
The more I use my D112, the more I hate it. But it's the only "bass drum" mic I've got, so I use it. Last session, I put it inside my high tuned Tama Rockstar for a punk session. But I also put a Shure KSM 32 outside about a foot and I blended the two in mixdown.

Killer.

I compressed the D112 and left the KSM open and mixed to one channel, with a little EQ at 65 and 5k.

Like broken in Doc Martens, it just fscking works.

Add obligatory: for this application/song/style/room/equipment/madre/emotion/tuning/mix/skonsiamepadoodadoo.

Inside and outside I say. Although it depends most of the time.

i'll second that 'tunnel' idea. i did that and it sounds great.
i use a atpro25 inside the bass drum, and then i'll put a blanket/rug over the bass drum and some chairs or anything as an extension of the drum, and then i place a condensor mic in the end. the blanket is more to reduce the leakage. you can get a good sound just by putting a dynamic more aggressive mic inside (not necessarily aimed at the beater's contact point) and a condensor outside the bass drum.

Kramer said:
How do you know that?What lead you to this conclusion?Is there some documentation of this?I have the VF 16 and I dont hear that thing getting below the 400Hz that it displays.

I wish it did!:)

I asked Fostex technical support. The VF16 may be different - different software versions, etc.

some time ago i bought eddie kramer's 'adventures in modern recording' because i was going to record live drums for the first time, and i wanted something clearer/more palpable than reading about it. so i bought a video thinking it would be easier to grasp the intricacies of the process. how surprised was when i found out the asshole wouldn't have the decency to cover the drum recording in the video. he only talked about it briefly, and then proceeded to sequence and mix some half-assed drum machine tracks.
in conclusion, guys, if you want a video on recording, and you want live drums, don't get this sheet. also, don't get the first volume, if you've ever read a bunch of books and web articles on recording.

Tim Brown said:

I may be getting married (she asked me, so we're discussing it. Instant family, just add Tim :D) and if I do marry her, using electric drums to practice at home would make life a lot easier.:D

Her little boy (he's 5) was over here and the first thing he wanted to do was play drums. So I might train up another drummer....but this kid's gonne learn the Heel-Toe technique from the start!

Tim

Ok, sorry to but in on this forum. I have been following this thread and have found it very interesting. I am not a drummer, but I do mic and record drums.

Ok, I am buying a drum set for my son this summer, so he can learn and was wondering what is the Heel-Toe technique? Thanks for amusing me. I now will return you drummers to your thread.

larry

Back