Kick Drum mics

fretwire3d

Is a SM57 ok to record a kick drum? How much better results will I get with a kick drum mic like the beta 52 versus the sm57?

thanks,
nathan

An SM57 will get the job done, and sometimes it will be all the mic you need. I like the E/V ND868 and the ATM25, RE20 is a hell of a kick mic on occassion as well as good at lots of other stuff and junk. :p

War

Stick the 57 inside the kick and put another mic outside and you'll get an awesome Red Hot Chilli Peppers BBSM kick sound. As long as the kick is tuned right....

best mics in my experience
1) BEST tie b/w Sennheiser e602 and CAD KBM 412
2nd) tie b/w AKG D112 and Shure Beta52
3rd) any condenser mic (SD or LD) about 1ft in front of kick...

paranoid said:
3rd) any condenser mic (SD or LD) about 1ft in front of kick...

Maybe with jazz you can get away with this, but if you want the kick to punch, a condensor won't do the trick

BrettB said:
Maybe with jazz you can get away with this, but if you want the kick to punch, a condensor won't do the trick
Hmmmmmm.......I don't have that problem.

In a pinch a SM57 can sometimes work ok... but IMO, 99% of the time mics like the Sennheiser MD421, ATM25, AKG D112, and etc sound better.

The best kick mic in my opinion is the ATM25.

I'm a fan of two mics on the kick. For example, an ATM25 on the beater and a large condenser out in front. Even better is when you have a so-called woofer drum out in front of the bass drum. It seems to give the sense of moving air to the low end. A cheap alternative is to make a little blanket tunnel in front of the bass drum and stick you large condenser in the blanket tunnel.

Back