Kick Drum Mic(s) Advice

frankthetank727

I have been doing some recording for a while now and I am still trying to find that perfect kick drum microphone. Obviously there is personal preferences, but so far I have used a D112 and an RE20 more than once and have had pretty good results. However, I was just wondering if anyone else had a favorite mic they have heard on kick drums that they might want to try suggesting? I am currently recording metal, but also wouldn't mind finding a mic that works for any application. Thanks!

I like the dual mic approach for rock and harder styles, I normally use a D11 on the front of the kick outside the reso skin or on the port and a SM57 pointed towards the beater to get that nice click.

But I've rather limited budgets.

The D-112 is a little more scooped out in thr mid band and a bump high and low. The RE-20 is a little thicker in the mids. I have a couple of D-112's. If I have a D-112 in the kick I usually put a LDC on the front head.

for a single mic, I'd recommend RE20 over anything else based on my experience.

dual micing, maybe d12/d112 up front with something else at the beater

Any dedicated kik mic will give you a good variety of sounds. It's alot more about how you tune your kik and how much time you take to experiment with mic placement.

I use a D-112 and I've been able to get more "clicky" recordings out of it, as well as more "boomy" sounds out of it. I've also managed to get great recordings out of it, as well as real shitty recordings out of it.

The difference was always more dependent on whether I took the time to properly tune my kik, and whether I took the time to to play with mic placement.

I tried repping you too. No go.

They're trying to keep us apart!!!!!

I use a D112 inside and a large condenser out front, Still experimenting with the condenser (always learning) last recording I just used a AT2035 out front and it actually sounded very good. My favourite out front is a AKGC4000b but it usually ends up on the bass cab so I can only use it when we are not tracking the rhythm section live.

However, I have got some great kick drum recordings from just the D112, I also have used a 421 a SM57 and even a SM58 in the past and have got great results. Back in my early days when the mic locker was very small I recorded an album where I used an Audio Technica vocal mic (white coloured) that I picked up from a hock shop for $20, the album sounds very good even today and nobody believes that kick was that $20 special.

Another good mic is the Sennheiser e901 boundary mic, I have never used it but went to a concert and they had one in the kick, sounded fantastic.

Try everything.

Alan.

One that everyone should try is the Audix D6. I've been using one for a couple of years for my live work but tried it in the studio a couple of months ago and it's become my favourite kick drum mic bar none. It has a lovely full bottom end but, if you only use a single mic also does a good job on the "click", to the stage where, depending on the sound I'm after, I sometimes single mic the kick sometimes now.

I highly recommend it.

Bob

Back