Kick Drum Mic Questions?

jvasey

Ok, small budget here, and I need a kick mic.
Torn between a D112 and an Apex 125.
Haven't seen much written on the Apex 125, but I've used the 112 before.
Has anyone used the Apex? Any good?

Also, I've been using a couple old 535 for vocals.
If upgrading, a C3000 vs NT1, what do you take?
Or do you not bother, get by with the 535's until you've got more money to make a bigger step.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Don't bother. Wait and get something better. Although there are a lot of other chocies in that price range. Just try them if you can and see what you like. The Nt-1 might like you. It dosent like me, but it likes others I've recorded well enough. :)

for the kick, I don't know anything about the apex. I have a Beta-52 and an ATM 25. depends on the kick and style as to which I'll use, mostly the B-52. But the ATM 25 is real nice on smaller kicks, and when the drummer has more of a jazzier approach to the kit. (read "has a nice feel") I've used a D112. I haven't used one extensively in a recording situation but seems like you get less of the sound of the kick and more of the mics sound. (if that makes any sense) put it in front of a kick... it sounds like a kick. Can't go wrong (almost) Another mic I like is an Audix D-3 (i think it's the 3) it's almost "sweet" sounding, not real aggressive or anything, which can be a treat to work with, it's intresting to say the least. I was surprised the one time I recorded with one (live show). I'd almost say it dosen't really matter much what you get, just get a good one and learn to use it. It's the drum (and the drummer)that matters more.

-jhe

i use AKG D112's all the time in my studio and quite like the sound. It is also good for micing large bass cabs (15" or 18").

The Apex is a cheap offshoot of the Beta 52. I have seen them and they look like toys however I have never used one. Who knows? It may sound awesome! If your dealer will allow you, take them both home for a week and see which sounds better for your needs.

JAMES: It is the Audix D4 that you are thinking of and I agree, very sweet sounding mic and very versatile as well!

Well Guys,
I needed something for a session today, so after looking over the specs sheets I bought the Apex, (knowing I could return it if it didn't cut it). I'm keeping it. Didn't even go inside the shell. Left it on the hole in the front head and it sounded great. Was tracking direct, and won't even need to compress or EQ it. It is kind of funny looking, (like a cartoonish D4 on steroids), but it did the job nicely. It probably won't be useful for anything but kick, but that's all I needed it for.

Now I'm curious about the Apex 420. It's similar to the NT1, only slightly less sensitive, with a flatter response, and an extra 5db max SPL. If anyone has one, lmk.
Thanks,
Jeff

how about the e602

I have a D112 and for the money I don't think you can beat it but ever try the Sen e602,it works great on bass cabs so why not on the kick.

That's why I'm always careful when posting about mics. I have a Beta 52, a D112, and a D4 (Audix). I had an ATM25. The ATM25 is the only one I got rid of. I just thought the 52 did a better job capturing "that" tone. I did like it on guitar though, along with a 57. (The D4 works well for this also).

I've used the e602 also. Similar to the 52 with a more pronounced, "airy" high end. I'm tempted to recommend the 602 over the 52 simply because the Beta is so damn heavy. I always have problems with it moving.

Brad Gallagher
http://www.just-for-musicians.com/

Back