Keyboards for recording

fenderlady

Here is my dilema:

I am relatively new to keyboards, I've played other peoples keyboards and dinked around with them at stores and such.

Over the last 6 months I have been putting together a home studio. It has some fairly high end equipment in it. Just so you know what I have:

Allen&Heath MixWizard 16:2
MOTU 828mkII
Studio Projects C1 and B3 mics
Sonar 5 Producer
Marshall MG100DFX
Behringer Ultrabass 300
BFD drum module

I've been wanting a midi controller for the BFD module, and of course a decent to good keyboard. I really had not looked a lot with Xmas coming and of course after coughing up $300 for the BFD module.

My husband decided to go ebaying and ended up getting me a used Yamaha PSR-290. It had nothing with it, so no power supply (minor problem, I can get that easy enough). My problem is I don't think it sounds very good at all. The piano is weak, and lets not even go there with the synth or instrument sounds.

What are your thoughts?

Should I just get a Alesis midi controller? Or should I go for a higher end keyboard that can still do midi and of course the piano and other sounds. Maybe like a Alesis QS8.2? Or a Yamaha S90 or Motif? Maybe a Roland?

I'd like to hear what other people think!

Kristi

Go Roland!

I just got a new Roland RS-70 synth/workstation, and I love it! Roland has always had great sounds, and the RS-70 is easier to use than my previous Korg N364 which I just retired. Recording on the Korg was always a pain - the Roland is much easier with it's Quick Sequencer. The pianos are especially good.

They were just discontinued, and Musicians' Friend (huge website which is the on-line division of Guitar Center) is selling the last remaining ones for $629 brand new with free shipping.

That's only $129 more than tha Alesis QS6.2 which doesn't have a sequencer (or $29 more than the Roland Juno D, which is also not a workstation) - it's a great deal.

Bump... Any other thoughts!

The local Guitar Center is pushing the Yamaha Motif! I have looked and compared the Motif 6 and the Motif ES 6.

Anyone have actual experience with either?

Anyone connected either up to an analog mixing board?

I'm not an expert but I'll offer something.

I have a Yamaha PSR at home and it works OK for what it is. It's too big to be practical as a MIDI controller so I went out looking. I tried a couple of MIDI controllers (e-mu and Oxygen) but didn't like them. I learned that I like to just go off into the spare room and play a little, the whole connecting, MIDI thing stifled creativity. It certainly has it's place once you are ready to record of course.

I am not a keyboard player, I already have the PSR and I did not want to spend too much so I went with the MicroKorg, not right for you but has good sounds and works as a controller. It's still on trial and might go back. I looked at the Yamaha S07. One I really considered was the DGX (305 I think) because you can record on it and convert to MIDI and send to the PC, a very nice feature.

Right now I'm think for me the small synth works best.

Hopefully this helps a little

Tony

The motif stuff is good. If you have that kind of money, good for you.

In that price general price range would be a Korg Triton ( many models with 61,76 keys, LE editions etc) and a used Kurzweill ( or new, again many models and prices).

Personally If I was spending that dough I would go with Kurzweill first, Korg second and Yamaha 3rd. Apples and oranges, they are all major pro keyboards that could be used by the big boys or the small boys ( or girls). The Kurzweill for me is the best sounding synth out there.

If I had that money I would go a different route. I would go samplers, a module and a modest keyboard controller. You cover all worlds, especially with soft synths and samples.

The PSR is a perfectly good controller for midi unless you need fancypants control, aftertouch, sliders etc ( I am guessing you dont). Some sounds might be ok, its not meant for the audio market, more the home keyboard enthusiast. You could keep it as your controller, invest in a module and some samples if you are computer savvy. Throw in a softsynth ( if you are into synthesis-sounds) and you have an excellent lil keyboard setup.

Thanks guys!!! Very good info!

It's not that I have a ton of money. My main problem is I have a setup that can record at 24 bit 96khz. It is super clean.

I will look at the Korg Triton's also.

I am pretty computer savy. I was a lead computer systems administrator for Intel. I build my own computers. It has been fun designing and building my DAW environment.

I am pretty computer savy. I was a lead computer systems administrator for Intel.

OK, so you know that the CD drawer is not a coaster :rolleyes: :D ( I actually read that, someone called like microsoft help and asked about the coffee cup holder that pops out).

In that case, with your computer knowledge I would definitely check out samplers and soundware. I am just going that route too after someone recently blew me away with samples on one of my projects. I do orchestral stuff so I need the realistic sounds: I was doing it on synths but now that I have heard it with samples I am spoiled. And lost. Im frightened, hold me :o

Seriously, I would strongly consider samples if you are doing imitative keyboard stuff. If you want to hear an mp3 I will send you a lil clip if you pm me an email addy. The sound quality i awesome and you kan keep it all in the computer.

I personally like to have a real synth too for composing and instant inspiration. I dont have samples yet, I am looking to buy some. I have a JV1010 (roland module) and a few softsynths but nothing for realistic sounds.

It would help if you could give us some more details as to what kind of music you're doing, what kinds of sounds are you looking for, are you looking for something that you can unpack, plug in and start playing, or are you the type that likes to tinker around and get deeply involved in sound design. What's your budget?

Personally I own a Kurzwreil K2600XS. I've had it for 5 years, and it still surprises me. In many ways, the competition... uhh... what competition? There isn't any. However, it's not the type of keyboard that you unpack, plug in and start playing... I mean sure it's got about 300-400 factory sounds, but they're really nothing to write home about, and most of them are quite dated. So, it's the type of instrument that invites you to dive in deep, create your own sounds. It's a rich instrument, and is capable of producing some very convincing acoustic instrument emulations, as well as some far out, twisted stuff that is well beyond the capabilities of any other hardware. So, if you're not willing to dive in deep, then there are better options.

On the other hand if you prefer keyboards that will give you instant gratification, then probably the Motif ES is the better choice. It comes with tons of samples and programs loaded, and has a very good FX section.

There is another option: Software + Keyboard controller. This is certainly a viable option, and in the long run will give you more options for less money. Again, this depends on what you're after. If you're going to be doing live gigs, some people still feel more comfortable with hardware. On the other hand, if you're going to be in the studio, then software is most definately worth a long, hard look.

So, give us some more info as to what you're after, the style of your music and most likely we'll be able to give better advice.

Hey Noisewreck,

I would agree with you that Kurzweil is an awesome instrument. I am more of a beginning keyboard player. I am looking for something that can reproduce acurately many different instruments. I am not gigging yet, but I would love to! I could see me with a keyboard controller and software for studio and still have like a Motif 6. Oddly enough Guitar Center has the Motif 6 on sale for $999.99.

I play anything from Jazz to harder rock. No metal though. I am more into the 70's style rock.

Kristi

Well, let me tell ya. The K2600XS was the very first electronic instrument that I got. Before than, I hadn't touched anything electronic dealing with music, although, like you I've been in the IT field for quite some time. Before than I was playing classical piano. I can honestly say that I'm glad that I got it. Sure at times it was bewildering, but once you get your head around it, it's very logical. If you're doing 70's style rock, the factory programs would probably have you covered.

My comments weren't meant to scare you away, just wanted to stress that if you intend to treat it as a pretty much a preset machine, there are better alternatives, as the way I see it, if you're not tinkering with VAST, then you're wasting your money.

The Motif is certainly a good choice. But, if you can afford, go for the ES. It's got a much better ROM (and that's a good thing, as it's synthesis architecture is somewhat limited), and much improved FX over the original Motif.

fenderlady said:
Hey Noisewreck,

I would agree with you that Kurzweil is an awesome instrument. I am more of a beginning keyboard player. I am looking for something that can reproduce acurately many different instruments. I am not gigging yet, but I would love to! I could see me with a keyboard controller and software for studio and still have like a Motif 6. Oddly enough Guitar Center has the Motif 6 on sale for $999.99.

I play anything from Jazz to harder rock. No metal though. I am more into the 70's style rock.

Kristi

I am very happy with my Motif 6. If you buy the Vintage Keys software at the website you will add more Organs, Really kick butt analog synths and Fender Rhodes patches as well. The sequencer has quite the learning curve for a simple player like myself so I have user friendly sequencers in my KORGS KARMA and X3 haha :)
Just adding my $.02 :p

Well, it depends on what you want for sounds. I know that if you plan on doing a lot of piano stuff, weighted keys are the only way to go. When you want to really hammer down and rock out on piano, non-weighted keys really suck.

Now, my thoughts on some keyboards. THe Motif is sweet, and I almost bought it this year. The thing that I like the most is that almost all of the sounds are usable--unlike the Triton LE that I tried, which seemed to have a lot of "filler," crappy sounds. Mind you, you can tweak them, but still, the Motif was mostly usable, and the Triton was mostly crap for presets.

The Roland Fantom series is fun. They have a good selection of sounds, particularly strings and other orchestral stuff. The Motif is pretty good for that kind of stuff too.

Those are just my general thoughts on those keyboards. I haven't owned any of those, just played (for hours) in my local music store. As for a simple MIDI controller, I own a Midiman Radium 61-key USB keyboards, and really enjoy it. Quite programmable, and not a bad feel. Unweighted, though, so if you want to do a lot of piano, again, I would advise sticking to weighted keys.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the replys!!! Some very good info!! I ended up buying a Motif 6, Guitar Center had them on sale for less than $1000. So it was a good deal, at least that is what I thought.

On another note: Did I tweek someone for them to give me a Red dot? I thought red dots were bad? I mean, if I did something wrong, I am very sorry. I certainly don't mean to tweek anyone! :confused:

fenderlady said:
On another note: Did I tweek someone for them to give me a Red dot? I thought red dots were bad? I mean, if I did something wrong, I am very sorry. I certainly don't mean to tweek anyone! :confused:

Look under CP at the top, it tells you what thread someone gave you a mean red one on. I gave you a green (looks like a lot of folks did) to counteract the badness someone bestowed on you. :cool:

Back