Keyboards and sound modules

DEADLY

Since i started making beats recently i have really began to enjoy it and have been pleased with the results even though i am using equiptment which cost next to nothing.
All i am using is a turntable, basic cheap mixer, fruityloops and my record and cd collection.
I am thinkin about buying some gear to improve my setup but i don't understand how controller keyboards and sound modules work.
For instance if i connected a controller keyboard to an Emu mo' phatt and then to my pc would the chords i play on the keyboard come out with that chord in a sound from the mo'phatt?

Plz explain this to me i'm confused! Also any recommendations for keyboards, sound modules or any other other gear to improve my setup would be very welcome! Cheers. DEADLY

Sort of. In a very basic set up you would only need to connect the controller and the module. This would allow you to play the sounds from the module using the controller.

In a more advanced set up, yes you could have your PC connected in the loop and have it record what you're playing on the controller and then play that back through the module.

You can also use the controller to trigger sounds from your PC providing you have a MIDI interface and some VSTis/DXis.

As far as recommendations, there is too much gear out there to list without knowing your financial limitations. Give us a ballpark of what you have to work with and we can make some recommendations. Also what is the spec on you PC? You may be better off with VSTis/DXis depending on how much $$$ you have and how quick your machine is.

Stray

Back