Keyboard XG questions..

MadStrum!

One of the features of the Yamaha PSR-2100..

XG and General MIDI compatibility with USB

What does this mean? Does it mean that we can use the XG drumset from the keyboard in software like Sonar?
Also, is USB faster than the normal midi cable or is it the other way round?

Thanks.

Pier.

Yeah...when it says its compatible that refers to the drum sound settings that are on that specific model keybaord. Also the only thing faster the USB port for MIDI is to have a special PCI sound card slot that has a MIDI connection. Otherwise, the USB is the fastest and most convenient way to use MIDI on your computer.

What do you mean by special soundcard? You referring to musician cards or soundblaster live cards?
So does it mean that I can use the drumset from the keyboard in my songs?

Pier.

There are special conncection you can make through a PCI card slot that are called interfaces. They are connected to the PCI card through a wire and contain several inputs such as 1/4 inch plugs, sometimes mic pres, and many times MIDI ports. Once that is complete you can have an extremely fast and clear connection directly to your computer. Also, once you have a copmpatible donwloaded patch of your durm setting they will work on your computer instead of having to go to a defualt setting of durm sound effects that happens when you don't have the matching downloaded patch. Which sounds ok, but you're very limited.

MadStrum! said:
What do you mean by special soundcard? You referring to musician cards or soundblaster live cards?
So does it mean that I can use the drumset from the keyboard in my songs?

Pier.

I don't think Cheb undestands what you are asking.

The USB port on the PSR allows you to connect it to the PC without a dedicated MIDI port - nothing more. Its just a different means for the keyboard to communicate with your PC.

You can use the drumset of the keyboard in your songs by actually triggering the sounds from the keyboard through MIDI note events. This does not mean the drums sounds are magically uploaded to your PC. You would still need to record the audio outputs of the PSR into Sonar on a separate audio track while triggering the PSR via the USB interface.

brzilian said:
uploaded to your PC. You would still need to record the audio outputs of the PSR into Sonar on a separate audio track while triggering the PSR via the USB interface.

Yes this is what I am wondering about... how do i go about doing this...? I mean recording the drum sounds from the keyboard to Sonar if I want to do so?

Thanks.

Pier.

MadStrum! said:
Yes this is what I am wondering about... how do i go about doing this...? I mean recording the drum sounds from the keyboard to Sonar if I want to do so?

Thanks.

Pier.

Same way you record any audio. Take the audio outs of the keyboard and run them into the line in on your soundcard.

Back