keyboard with a nice sounding organ

hello, I want to experiment with acoustic and organ sounds.

i'm looking at some keyboards I want to buy but my budget is limited.

I was looking at crumar italian keyboards and they are like 1600 and up.

also seen hammonds are like 900 on reverb.

I figure if I bought the crumar and made some songs I would definitley need to die an early death. I don't really want to die though.

also I want to experiment with midi as well, and I want a true synth like behringer poly d, so i'm not really sure what my sound is gonna be but I want to try everything.

any idea how I could get a nice organ sound without spending tons of cash?

At one point, I wanted to try to learn some keyboard stuff. I found a used Yamaha DGX650 on Craigslist for $300 with a stand, pedal and a Gator travel case.

Turns out I'm just not a patient student and I never really caught on. I hoped that my bassist/keyboard buddy would come over to do some recording, but he was still working and tied up, so we never got together. Then he had some health issues over a year ago which put him out of commission. Since Covid, he's retired, but holed up in his house. Hopefully after all this has passed I get his butt over to do some stuff.

I like the DGX keyboards. Maybe I'll dig it out and give you a few examples of the organ sounds. I can even try putting my Leslie pedal on it to see out good a B3 sound I can get.

Assuming you want a real keyboard able to take gigging, then look for things like older Nords - they have really nice organs, but most well know synths have a few preset decent organ sounds - if we're talking Hammond, Farfisa, Wurlitzer type sounds and not Church. The Nords give you the creativity of harmonics, but even my old Korg Triton has enough organ sounds for live stuff. In the studio - plenty of VSTis of course, some really good, and I guess at a push a laptop would give you these live. Occasionally organ modules come up on ebay - little boxes with sliders. I think there was a Crumar a few weeks back here in the UK I saw. I suppose you could always buy a dirt cheap home Hammond, and do to it what they used to do to real C3s - cut 'em up with a saw and make them portable. Old Hammonds go for nothing here. I've never heard of anyone cutting them up, but could be a fun project.

There are a ton of apps that can be used on an ipad or tablet ...that nad a decent inexpensive usb midi keyboard is your fastest cheapest route to enjoying organ sounds on the cheap...great hammond apps..

I tried it live once and it stopped in the middle of a song so in my limited experience I chose not to continue to try and make it work andwent out and bought a used Nord electro...IMO the best hardware Hammond emulator out there...but just my opinion ...

I just want something with 61 keys and not too expensive, I don't really have room for an 88 key synth. I have an acoustic piano with 88 keys and plan to take piano lessons one day, if I ever get there. But I just want some gear to record with once I get my tascam 688 back. I'm waiting till I get it back before I spend a ton of money on the credit caRD. Debt stresses me out and I do have word it is fully fuctional but I want to test it out myself before I charge stuff.

For the 96 Tears sound, you need to copy a Vox Continental type organ sound. That's also the sound of all the Doors songs.

I have no idea what the other one uses.

Back