Keyboard Recommendations

Mo-Kay

Dragon Soul Productions
Hey all

I want to buy a Fender Rhodes one day...but untill I have the cash & room for it..I have a question:

What keyboard would you recommend for use with a software emulation of Fender Rhodes piano?

What type (semi weighted? weighted?), brand, model...etc....

for the most "realistic" playing. (might be handy when it comes to switchting to a real one, later on, too haha)

Mo-Kay

To be honest, I haven't heard a software emulation that I like a whole lot yet.

NI makes one, Apple (through Logic) has one.

I imagine that a fully weighted board would be the most accurate. I play a semi-weighted board (though my Rhodes comes from my Kurzweil PC2R, which is the best Rhodes I've heard on a board/module other than something from Nord) and I dig in really hard to my keys and it just doesn't feel like what I hear.

If you want to go that far, a Yamaha KX88 would be awesomely suited for that, as it has a REAL piano keybed.

yeah I know, things come close but just don't match up all the way

I've heard some impressive ones too, though, like the samplekit from realsamples, the logic one indeed, yeah.

So..weighted huh...hmmmwhat would be a nice one, not too expensive?

I'd definitely go with weighted keys. Are you thinking you want a controller or a new board that has sounds you can take out live and play? With a controller, you could get 88 keys, and invest in something like Electrik Piano for what I consider a pretty decent emulation of the Rhodes. I've been using it for awhile now and while it's not perfect (as the real thing), it certainly does a damn good job. Sounds good and is expressive when I play it via my Yammie S80. Can't really steer you in the direction of what's best in regards to controllers. Haven't played any recently, but did try a Fatar at one time (wasn't bad at all) and I'd 100% agree with the recommendation for a KX88. KX88's are still respected for their playability.

Most newer synths do a pretty good job with Rhodes sounds. Yamaha boards like the Motif, S90, etc. have some pretty good sounding patches, and even my old S80 isn't too bad, but I bought the PF plugin board for a little better quality of Rhodes sounds for live use.

yeah I'm going the software route, studio use.
possibly the session version of the Lounge Lizard.

and one day...I hope to own a real fender rhodes.

Meanwhile I'll keep my eyes open for a weighted action controller :D

Mo-Kay said:
yeah I'm going the software route, studio use.
possibly the session version of the Lounge Lizard.
and one day...I hope to own a real fender rhodes.
Meanwhile I'll keep my eyes open for a weighted action controller :D
Give these a go: http://www.soundfonts.it/

Mr. Ray and Mr. Tramp. They are pretty good, and free / nagware. They use a physical modelling system like AAS, but without the copy protection. It does require a VST host to run in, though.

Now if only I could find an affordable rackmount that would do this.. Windows just needs too much care and feeding for my taste.

**EDIT**
Alex, doesn't the PC2 have the same Rhodes sound as the ME-1? I can't say I was too impressed with the sound of that module.

Mo-Kay said:
how's that?
Their copy-protection system works in the same way as XP. It generates a unique hardware hash which you then send to their webserver (you can do this on another machine if your studio PC is not online). You then get a key back.
You have to do this each time the software is installed, and occasionally it just decides it wants to be reactivated anyway, probably if you change the hardware in the PC.

If their webserver goes down, or their connection goes down, you won't be able to install it until they get it sorted. If they go down, you won't be able to install it ever again.

I have had to activate it three times this year, so I am particularly displeased about it. If it happens again too soon, they might decide I'm trying to pirate it and then we shall come to blows which I do not want.

Don't get me wrong, Lounge Lizard is nice software, and unless you're doing weird things involving SMPTE and ancient versions of Sonar (that's another story), the results really are wonderful. But I do not like the copy-protection system, especially now that there is a freeware alternative which is almost as good.

Just buy the rhodes

by the time you buy a good weighted controller ($300-500) and a good emulation ($100-$200) your in the range of a well used, but playable rhodes. Remember that rhodes pianos are remarkably sturdy and easy to work on. Even if all the tolex is gone and keys are burnt like the bottom of an ashtray, with relativly little effort you can still make it sound great.

If the rhodes is what you want, you'll never be satisfied with the emulations. Watch ebay and when one comes up with in driving range, go buy it. That will save you $150 in shipping

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/

thats whapt I wanna do...thing is... I'm in Europe and Fender Rhodes pianos don't come that cheap over here :(

Back