Keyboard needs amp.

Gordon

Went to Sam ASh and saw a good keyboard amp costs around $500. I decided to get an Optimus speaker and and 40 watt amp($275). Do you think that will be powerful enough?

PS: Bass in band is 200 watts.
Note: this is for jazz, rock, blues, ect...

What brand name and model# of the amp from
Sam ash did you consider? Radio Whack...er...
Shack is not the place to buy any type of audio equipment,especially for keyboards.See if you can return that amp and speakers and
try other places for good Keyboard amplification.

Minimum power for a keyboard (using a Fender Rhodes) playing with a drummer is a Fender Twin 100 watt head or equivalent through a fairly efficient speaker set.
I'm sure $5 bills can get you something like this, but you might have to look around a bit. An important consideration are the speakers in the cabinet.
Spend your dough on the speakers, then upgrade the amp when you can.
A pair of JBL 15" full range speakers will
definitely kick butt.

I don't think you have enough horsepower with that setup and will have a LOT of distortion.

Go with a Roland KC 100 or 300 (about $300 and $400). I have a KC 500 and am very pleased with it. They have 4 channels, eq, line out and headphone out and will give you a much better sound.

I'd would go with the KC300 at least, if you're not also micing the amp on stage, but the 100 might do if your band plays at a lower level than most.

mutt

I also have a Roland KC-500 and I like it. But it's around $500. I like having a 15" speaker to get enough bass. And the KC-500 is reasonably small considering it has a 15. (The competitive Peavey amp was too large.) You can combine two KC-500s together to get stereo. I'd love to have that, but it's a little hard to justify right now. I guess what I'd rather do is slap a Motion Sound horn on top. :)

But if you can't afford it, probably the KC-100 or 300 will be a good choice, as mutt says.

Jim

just my personal opinion, but i'd advise you to stay away from the Fender KXR-100. i bought it a few years ago when i was just starting to play in a band, and i wanted big and loud, but didn't really care all that much about the sound. boy what a mistake, that thing sounds like your amp is being played in a tank of muddy water.

Back