Keyboard Mapping (in the old-fashioned sense)

Spillenger

Here's a beginner's question:

I have a Yamaha KX25 keyboard that I'm using to control instruments in Cubase Studio 4 for Mac. I've created an instrument track in Cubase using HalionOne's "Dry Standard Kit." So, low C seems to be a tom; C# seems to be a cymbal crash; etc., etc.

Is there a way to indicate what keys trigger what sound? (I can hear the laughter all up and down the Eastern seaboard.) For drum/percussion instruments, there are many key assignments. Do people just use masking tape? Or are there blank keyboard pictures you can use with an erasable pen? Or do people just memorize the assignments?

Many thanks.

is this only a concern for drums??? you should be able to develope your own templates with in cubase... such that all 25 keys on your board are a different sound... or perhaps do it such that all C's are kick... all C# are closed hi-hat etc... this would allow you to paly rolls on drums easier... ie: the hi tom is F... play ont he 2 Fs gives roll on the hi-tom... make sense??

Demented- I think he's asking about the keyboard itself, not the assignments. Yes, masking tape is the easy solution. Pros still do it that way with their big mixing board set-ups.

There is actually a standard called the General Midi Drum Map (or GMDrum Map) which links specific notes to specific drum sounds. Most conventional drum samplers follow this standard, and it's pretty easy to figure out. Once you play it for a while you'll start to remember where notes are pretty quick when you put your fingers to the keys. Until then, feel free to use masking tape, since there's no special notepad for keeping track of this that I can think of.

Maybe Halion doesn't do this, because I don't think C# is supposed to be a crash, I think it's supposed to be kick 2.

Back