Keyboard for Church Youth Area

Ed Dixon

We need to purchase a keyboard for use in a church youth area. Do not need a high end unit, but something with reasonable piano, organ, and other basic sounds.

All else (PA, monitors, electonic drums, etc) is already handled. Keyboard would likely come through monitors.

Suggestions?

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
We need to purchase a keyboard for use in a church youth area. Do not need a high end unit, but something with reasonable piano, organ, and other basic sounds.

All else (PA, monitors, electonic drums, etc) is already handled. Keyboard would likely come through monitors.

Suggestions?

Ed

Maybe an old KORG Trinity :)

If you want something new around $500 - $600, the Yamaha S03, Roland Juno-D or the Korg X50 are three good choices.

If you want to spend around $1000 the Korg TR, the Roland Juno-G and the Yamaha S08 would be among the ones to look seriously at.

If you can spend as much as it takes to get a good keyboard the Yamaha Motif series and the Roland Fantom at around $2000/ea would be fine keyboards for anyone at any level.

I'll let you Google these to find the best prices in your chosen bracket.

i always hope that churches will get something nicer for the kids than just a basic keyboard with piano sounds. making music has become more than just knowing a few notes and playing chopsticks. you never know what will catch a childs attention. like me... i never took to the whole playing lean on me thing but when i saw my first sequencer it was on.

i say cop something like a Yamaha MO8 for $1600 is the budget can handle it. It'll get 10 times more use by the kids than a P70 or P140. But the new Yamaha YPG keyboards seem pretty impressive with a ton of featrures.

i sell keyboards....

Using EBay as a source for user gear is also fine. My guess is that our keyboard budget will be likely in the few hundred dollar range. Today we only have one youth available to play keys, and they are still learning basics.

I have experience with Korg and Roland gear, both of which work well. However most all of what I have and use are rack based and not keys based.

Motif is great, but probably out of our price range. My initial thougt was for something similar to a used D-70 or perhaps a similar Roland model.

Ed

Might've been nice to let us know that you had come that far in your search upfront.

D-70's are fine keyboards and good luck on eBay.

Sorry about that. Sometimes more info seems to be the less than best approach. Clearly not the case here.

I buy lots of gear, so EBay and assorted online firms are well known. I play guitar, and know that well, but know little about keyboards. The two I have (one bought decades ago and the other for my mom) are a Casizo CZ-1 and an Alesis QuadraSynth. Both are already in use in other ways.

I like the Alesis, but changing sounds is a little tricky for young folks. I prefer something with good sounds and a simple interface. Most Roland keys I have seen appear to have that feature. Same for some Yamaha.

Ed

Back