keyboard for 80's metal cover band

zook250

hi. i am thinking about getting an old 80's keyboard for some of the tunes where keys are needed. these are my options as of now, a dx-7s or a sy-22. they are both going for around 200.00$ cdn. funds taxes included. the other keyboard i woulndnt mind would be a d-50 , but i dont know if it would be as suitable as FM keyboards were used more heavily. any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.S i also have a korg ds-8 that works fairly well.

DX7 would be a nice choice! That's what I would have suggested, but I am not familiar with the other boards you mentioned.

If you're going for an authentic look, by all means, go with a DX7. If you're not partial to the way your setup looks, you could always try the TX7, which is the rackmount version of the DX7, which you can use with any midi controller. I have one myself, and picked it up on eBay for only a bit more than $50. There is also the TX816, (I believe that's the number.) It's the multi-rack mount version of the DX7. It gives you more layering and split capabilites you just can't get with the TX7, as well as more space for patches.

You could always get a nice vintage controller to go with it, though that would cost you more. One such nice one would be the Yamaha KX88. It's one beast of a controller, but it's supposed to have amazingly realistic piano action. I would pick one up if I could literally pick it up! (I want to say around 80-100lbs, not certain by any means. I just know it's heavy, and I wouldn't be able to lug that around a couple days a week by myself.)

zook250 said:
hi. i am thinking about getting an old 80's keyboard for some of the tunes where keys are needed. these are my options as of now, a dx-7s or a sy-22. they are both going for around 200.00$ cdn. funds taxes included. the other keyboard i woulndnt mind would be a d-50 , but i dont know if it would be as suitable as FM keyboards were used more heavily. any advice would be greatly appreciated. P.S i also have a korg ds-8 that works fairly well.

If I had the DX-7, I would go for the D-50 as my second board. The D-50 has some good piano and synth sounds.

Don't know if this applies to you, but Native Instrument's FM7 nails the DX7... It's a really good virtual synth... YMMV....

thanks for the replys. my first job is playing bass.there are only a few tunes at the momwnt that require keys,( runaway, turn up the radio and aldo nova's fantasy). i am going for the 80's look , so the dx-7 is my first choice then probably a d-10, as d-50's are still to expensive just to fill up a 2 tier keyboard stand. the fm-7 is nice ,but i dont want to lug around a computer or laptop to gigs.

BTW, if you're in the market for a DX7, make sure to get the DX7II revision or later. You get more options, banks, expandablilty and better quality, polyphony, etc.

i just found a korg m-1 in great shape. i dont know much about that board, but the guy wants 300.00 cdn. from what ive read this board is similar to the d-50 in sound. is that true?

Back