Keyboard Buying Recomendations

prestomation

Hey Everbody!

I'm currently looking around for a keyboard. I play guitar and keyboards in a hard rock band. We have a 2nd full time guitar player. I play just as much keyboard as guitar, and it's becoming an important part of our band. I currently play an old Roland Jv-30. It works out pretty well for live use. I use primarily only the piano and strings, both of which are pretty adequate in the mix. If i could make that baby 88 keys and give it a better piano, I'd be set. :D

So i'm looking for a keyboard with good sounds. Piano and strings a must. 88-keys required. The only other sounds I really use are some synth leads(think saw wave) and some organs, so they I guess are required too.

I had been attracted to the P-90. I played it for a little while at GC yesterday and it was nice, but it had no synth, so I bypassed it. The rep pointed me towards a S08, which I really liked. The strings were gorgeous! I thought the piano was good, but didn't play it much. Most reviewers pretty much hate the piano, can it sound as good as the P-90? That would stop me from buyingi t. Another thing is the price. Both of those are right at a grand. I'll spend it if I have to, but id' really like to spend quite a bit less. Any suggestions?

Another thing is feel. I play an 1890's 7ft grand at home, so I know what a piano is like. My current roland is nonweighted. so i'm used to that and weighted keys is not a requiremnt.

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone have any advice?

I would maybe aim for a used 88 weighted. Yamaha has great piano sounds. I'm also in for buying a 88 weighted these days, and I'm thinking about a used Yamaha, Korg Triton 88 pro or a Roland Fanthom 8.
You save half of your money this way.
If piano is the uppermost important thing you might want to consider a stagepiano. I'm have pretty high demands for my piano sounds, but feel that a synth can do the trick.
Allthough Yamaha is pretty much world fameous for it's pianosounds, I feel that both the Korg and the Roland can do the job for me.
String sounds blend much more in so any of the above should cover you well on stringsounds, especially if the strings will be most used as pads.

Good luck choosing the right one.

Back