Keyboard advise

mysticfalcon

I'm new to the whole keybord scene but it's something that has interested me for years. I havent had the time or money for a while since i just built my own house but now that is over and i would really like to learn how to play. I have about $300 i can afford to spend so i was looking at the yamaha DGX202 and the EZ250. The lighted keys on the EZ seem apealing but I'm not sure for how long they would be helpful so if i would only need them for a few months then I would regret not buying the nicer keyboard. The DGX still has the Learnig programs and more keys and more features so i know that after time i would be happier with that. what do you guys think?

I'm new here, but have been playing for a long time.

My advice would be to purchase based on 1) Which keyboard sounds the best. That would include the number/variety of sounds, ability to generate viable rhythm accompaniment in various styles, etc.2) Which one has the best feeling keyboard (this is highly subjective- you might want to take someone with you who knows how to play). 3)MIDI capability for future expansion and 4) Features to assist you in learning how to play.

I would consider those in that order.

Features are nice and that's what they want to sell you on, but, truth is, that if the thing sounds or feels like crap, you won't want to play it anyway and you'll never learn. You are much better off getting the best sounding device you can afford.

My .02

Ted

Well I actualy Just had my New Yamaha DGX202 get here and i am very pleased with it. When i didnt get any advise online i went to the local music shop and tried some out. unfourtuantely local for me out in VT is 2 hours away which i what i had hoped to avoid. I played with a few different keyboards and i was extremely impressed with the piano sounds of the yamaha. I then ordered it from american musical which gets a very big thumbs up from me. I ordered it last tuesday at 3pm and it was at my door at noon on wednesday shipped with their free ground shipping. within an hour of it getting here i had learned how to play twinkle twinkle little star and old lang syne which i thought was pretty good for a guy thats never sat at a piano or tried to read music before.

That's great! I'm glad to hear you are satisfied with your choice and are already learning.

Just don't get discouraged. The main thing is to have fun and not set your expectations too high at first.

Learning to play keyboards can be daunting, but it's also a lot of fun when you begin to get the hang of it.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help. I just jopined this board, but it seems like there are a lot of people here who are willing to work with those just beginning.

Ted

Hi you guys! I have a yamaha DGX500 and love it, but the only problem is that I don't understand the all the 'midi' stuff in the owners manual. I'm not sure if there are separate modules to buy with this model, or if it is already built-in and I just have to figure it all out. I find the owner's manual hard to understand, and I wondered if anyone knows anything about this model or one like it.

Back