Key Frequencies

dvs recordings

I would like to know what some of the key frequencies are for cutting and boosting different instruments. I know that there is a large band range to be covered out there, but I have read a few articles where engineers say " If I want a little more fullness to the lower end of someones vocals, that a little boost between 150-250khz works for him or 1-3 khz for the the mids if some brightness is needed. Also when shelving bass at lets say 100khz, do you cut the db and by approximately how much? I'm sure this is a detailed subject that does not give any one easy answer. I would like to know about some of the other instruments as well if you have the patience. I have been looking and reading alot but can't find much on this subject. EQ is one tough thing to get good at. Maybe thats why they say sometimes it's best to leave it alone!

Thanks,
Dave

this was posted earlier by ausrock:

FREQUENCY: USES:
50Hz
1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, floor tom, and the bass.
2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock.

100Hz
1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments.
2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare.
3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns.
4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity.

200Hz
1. Increase to add fullness to vocals.
2. Increase to add fullness to snare and guitar ( harder sound ).
3. Reduce to decrease muddiness of vocals or mid-range instruments.
4. Reduce to decrease gong sound of cymbals.

400Hz
1. Increase to add clarity to bass lines especially when speakers are at low volume.
2. Reduce to decrease "cardboard" sound of lower drums (foot and toms).
3. Reduce to decrease ambiance on cymbals.

800Hz
1. Increase for clarity and "punch" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove "cheap" sound of guitars.

1.5KHz
1. Increase for "clarity" and "pluck" of bass.
2. Reduce to remove dullness of guitars.

3KHz
1. Increase for more "pluck" of bass.
2. Increase for more attack of electric / acoustic guitar.
3. Increase for more attack on low piano parts.
4. Increase for more clarity / hardness on voice.
5. Reduce to increase breathy, soft sound on background vocals.
6. Reduce to disguise out-of-tune vocals / guitars.

5KHz
1. Increase for vocal presence.
2. Increase low frequency drum attack ( foot / toms).
3. Increase for more "finger sound" on bass.
4. Increase attack of piano, acoustic guitar and brightness on guitars (especially rock guitars).
5. Reduce to make background parts more distant.
6. Reduce to soften "thin" guitar.

7KHz
1. Increase to add attack on low frequency drums ( more metallic sound ).
2. Increase to add attack to percussion instruments.
3. Increase on dull singer.
4. Increase for more "finger sound" on acoustic bass.
5. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.
6. Increase to add sharpness to synthesizers, rock guitars, acoustic guitar and piano.

10KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals.
2. Increase for "light brightness" in acoustic guitar and piano.
3. Increase for hardness on cymbals.
4. Reduce to decrease "s" sound on singers.

15KHz
1. Increase to brighten vocals (breath sound).
2. Increase to brighten cymbals, string instruments and flutes.
3. Increase to make sampled synthesizer sound more real.

that's great as a guideline, but it will never be set in concrete.

as ed said, the track, the mic, the source, all depend on what frequencies to cut and boost.

the actual equaliser itself can make a difference, especially with the valve eq's. sometimes a bigger boost can sound pleasant on a nice expensive valve eq, but on a cheaper eq, may sound harsh. it totally depends.

guidelines are great to get you started, but after a while, you will just KNOW where to cut/boost.

Eq

Hey to all you guys, Thanks for the informative links and self written replies. Gotcha Longwave and Sonus.. I use parametric eq from my recording software. Hope it will be good enough.

Thanks again
Dave

hm ... wondering what is better: software EQ or some budget ~$300 outboard parametric EQ?

it depends. if you use a software eq and it does the job, FINE. that's sorted. some people like hardware because it sounds different, or it could be the actaul physical element of it, or just different facilities.

i use a mixture of both. sometimes, ill use an outboard eq if i want to have a particular sound, othertimes, i find software eq can do the job fine.

sonusman said:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19596

The reason many engineers won't share what they will cut and boost is because:

1 - Many times, and instruments timbre can be changed through compression, and effects.

2 - Until they hear what the track sounds like, it is impossible to know WHAT to cut/boost with eq, and certainly, no two vocal, guitars, bass, drums, etc...are going to sound the same!

Ed

3- No 2 Eq's are the same as well. Some are ultra sensative some are simply shit.

4 - and so you cut...but with what "Q" ? how many dB? Perhaps what your track needs is a boost?

Back