Key ambiguity, I guess... :)

P-J

Rank Amateur
I've notice this happening with pro mixes too-- Whenever I hear a song intro on the car stereo or cheap speakers (when they are quiet), it's often really difficult to gauge the 'key' that the song is in and when the vocals or lead guitar come in (and it's a lot louder) you suddenly realise it wasn't in the key you thought. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this! :) Is there any way in the mixing/mastering process to prevent this?

I guess it's because a lot of the 'tone' is lost at low volumes, but some input would be appreciated.

Is there something wrong with the sound of those productions other than that; i.e. do they actually sound off-key or otherwise bad? I'm not sure why the listener's need to determine the key in the first two bars is something to worry about unless you're making a training disc.

G.

this might or might not be related, but ive experienced a simalar effect when playing with my bands at practice, when iv got the ear protection on (usually over the ear carpentry style headphones) the instruments seem out of tune, and when i take them off to see if in fact this is the case, everything is fine.

what is that??

Chris Jahn said:
this might or might not be related, but ive experienced a simalar effect when playing with my bands at practice, when iv got the ear protection on (usually over the ear carpentry style headphones) the instruments seem out of tune, and when i take them off to see if in fact this is the case, everything is fine.

what is that??

probably because your ears are plugged...?

Well yeah, jesus! I know that, whats the effect called? What causes it, is it like a dopler latency type thing? im not stupid you know, i was jsut wondering if it had a name and an exact cause!!!!

Chris Jahn said:
Well yeah, jesus! I know that, whats the effect called? What causes it, is it like a dopler latency type thing? im not stupid you know, i was jsut wondering if it had a name and an exact cause!!!!

:D

it's called Low-Volume Key Ambiguity Syndrome, or LVKAS. actually i just made that up. :p

Back