Kevin Gilbert: Anyone listen to him?

lexridge

How many people here listen to, or have listened to, Kevin Gilbert? He's dead now, but actually wrote and played on most of Sheryl Crows songs on her first album, and was given little to no credit. He also had dated Sheryl until her album came out.

He also did a project called the Toy Matinee. In fact, this album was voted by Rolling Stone Mag as one of the top 10 rock albums of all time. Honestly, I believe it did deserve it, as it is quite a production.

Other albums included "Thud" and "The Shaming of the True". Both are also great listening experiences.

If you interested in listening to him, I suggest getting the "Toy Matinee" CD first (also available in DTS 6 channel), then follow that with "Thud". There is a "T.Matinee" Live concert floating around the Internet as well, recorded and broadcast live on L.A radio. Sheryl Crow plays keyboard pads in this.

I've not yet found another person who's heard of Kevin around my town. I was just curious to see what others thought of his music. I am not working for the Gilbert estate and make nothing if you choose to buy his music. I just think his music is awesome and wanted to see who else does too.

The Kevin Gilber Memorial Website is located at http://www.kevingilbert.com

Look forward to your comments.

lexridge said:
How many people here listen to, or have listened to, Kevin Gilbert? He's dead now, but actually wrote and played on most of Sheryl Crows songs on her first album, and was given little to no credit. He also had dated Sheryl until her album came out.

He also did a project called the Toy Matinee. In fact, this album was voted by Rolling Stone Mag as one of the top 10 rock albums of all time. Honestly, I believe it did deserve it, as it is quite a production.

Other albums included "Thud" and "The Shaming of the True". Both are also great listening experiences.

If you interested in listening to him, I suggest getting the "Toy Matinee" CD first (also available in DTS 6 channel), then follow that with "Thud". There is a "T.Matinee" Live concert floating around the Internet as well, recorded and broadcast live on L.A radio. Sheryl Crow plays keyboard pads in this.

I've not yet found another person who's heard of Kevin around my town. I was just curious to see what others thought of his music. I am not working for the Gilbert estate and make nothing if you choose to buy his music. I just think his music is awesome and wanted to see who else does too.

The Kevin Gilber Memorial Website is located at http://www.kevingilbert.com

Look forward to your comments.

Wow Kevin Gilbert reference..too cool!I "discovered him thru a recording of a band called Girraffe,which played at something called progfest and did the entire Genesis album"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"..I think a member from Spocks Beard was also in the band...I highly recommend the Toy Matinee album...especially the deluxe version that includes demos..pretty cool!I also have a CD from 3rd matinee, which I believe is some members from Toy Matinee after Kevin Giberts death.
Also kinda interesting that Gilbert was in the running to replace Phil Collins in Genesis,but they instead opted for Ray Wilson,to record the "Calling All Stations" CD...the bands last.
A very talented musician whose death was a true tragedy.

variaxman said:
Wow Kevin Gilbert reference..too cool!I "discovered him thru a recording of a band called Girraffe,which played at something called progfest and did the entire Genesis album"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway"..I think a member from Spocks Beard was also in the band...I highly recommend the Toy Matinee album...especially the deluxe version that includes demos..pretty cool!I also have a CD from 3rd matinee, which I believe is some members from Toy Matinee after Kevin Giberts death.
Also kinda interesting that Gilbert was in the running to replace Phil Collins in Genesis,but they instead opted for Ray Wilson,to record the "Calling All Stations" CD...the bands last.
A very talented musician whose death was a true tragedy.

I have the Giraffe recording. It's damn near perfect, as compared to Genesis. I have never seen the deluxe version of Toy Matinee, but rest assured I will now hunt it down. :)

Regarding the replacing Phil Collins story, I had read this myself, but I thought he was to fly to London for an audition with Genesis, one week AFTER he died. Either way, he unfortunetly didn't get the part.

He was also up for a Grammy for the Shaming of the True CD. This CD was released after he died, and AFAIK, no Album of the Year Grammy has ever been awarded to a dead man. It might have deserved it. I dont remember now what competition he had.

Thanks for your comments.

One really cool feature of Kevin's Memorial website is this page: http://www.kevingilbert.com/yoursongs.htm. These are fan recorded remakes of kevin gilberts tunes. Very cool!

Also, there's a ton of Kevin's music available for download on this site as well. Great stuff!

Also, perhaps a bit of trivia, there is a guy that does a KG remake on this site named Andrew Gold. If memory serves me correctly, Did not Andrew Gold have a hit in 1977 called "Lonely Boy"?

Back